From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Patrick Martin
Sent: March 24, 2006 12:27 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club ofAmerica
Subject: Re: [IRCA] An ignorant question about BOGs

Dave,

As with all antennas, you should use RG6 and a matching transformer to the
receiver to isolate the antenna from the feedline. Using the matching
transformer does just that. It is like you moved your receiver to the
antenna. I have taken the R8 out to the end of my antennas and compared
directional properties and loss and I get exactly the same readings than in
the house on this side of the coax.. If there is any difference, I can't
tell it and I am very picky. All of the 4 antennas I have are feed with R6
and homebrew matching transformers. If you don't want to build your own, you
can buy them already made.  But running a piece a wire at the end of your
BOG and different direction will mess up the directional properties.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin