Re: [IRCA] Search machines on the Internet

Re: [IRCA] Search machines on the Internet

Hi Charlie,

Here are two quick tips:

The first tip would be to use quote marks around words that should
appear together:

Charles Taylor = 80,100,000 matches (any page that has "Charles" and "Taylor")
"Charles Taylor" = 4,300,000 matches (must include the phrase "Charles Taylor")

The second tip would be to use minus sign to screen out things you
know you don't want (kind of like using a loop antenna to null out a
pest).  Since a lot of sites would probably mention Charles Taylor,
president of Liberia, you might try:

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia = 1,980,000 matches

Now I see a lot of references to the Charles Taylor Prize, and a
Professor Charles Taylor of Harvard.  So...

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia -Prize -Harvard = 1,420,000 matches

and screening out the congressman:

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia -Prize -Harvard -Congress = 1,170,000 matches

and the philosopher (assuming that isn't you, hi!):

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia -Prize -Harvard -Congress -Philosophy
-Philosopher = 927,000 matches

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia -Prize -Harvard -Congress -Congressman
-Philosophy -Philosopher "North Carolina" -Representative  gets it
down to 27,400

and zooming in a bit more:

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia -Prize -Harvard -Congressman -Congress
-Philosophy -Philosopher "North Carolina" -Representative DX = 67
matches

"Charles Taylor" -Liberia -Prize -Harvard -Congressman -Congress
-Philosophy -Philosopher "North Carolina" -Representative DXer = 2
matches

73, Tim