Re: [IRCA] AM down the road..

> If they could get wireless streaming to work in vehicles, they will have
> it made.

I can do that now in many areas around here.  Verizon and Sprint both sell a
PCMIA wireless access card to plug into a laptop.  That is more than fast
enough to pass a stream.  Give it a couple of years.

> Maybe in time, the MW band will clear up and few broadcasters
> will be using it and DX will be there like it once was. But of course,
> who knows what noise sources we might have in the future to mess things
> up too.

What may happen is you'll get boutique broadcasters that stick to the old
ways, just as you have fans of tube audio gear.  The big boys will either
fold or move on the greener pastures.  There may well be another Golden Age
of radio down the road, but as a near-hobby type effort.

I ordered the book Foxy suggested through Amazon.  Let's see what that
particular crystal ball predicts.  I don't put too much stock in
predictions.  There's always something that throws the equation way off.  In
1986 did *anyone* have a clue about just what the DARPANet would turn into?
20 years doesn't seem so long ago to me.

You want a prediction?  Watch what some of the physicists are doing.  There
is some really interesting work happening in fusion and alternative energy.
If they cut the oil need down to a fraction, it will revamp society in ways
we can't even imagine.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI