 29    ME
 29    NV
 28    NH
 19    VT
 15    RI
 10    DE
   7    DC

  4712

Synchronous transmitters on the same frequency as the main station were not counted.

AK:  KINY-800 Juneau operates a 10-watt relay on 690 from Skagway.  Station is legal as far as I know, and was counted.

IL:   The FCC still lists the three Chicago sharetimers on 1240.  WSBC bought out the other two back in the late 1990's!  Only WSBC was counted.

MA:   WLLH-1400 Lowell was counted; synchro WLLH-1400 Lawrence was not.

MI:    Daytimer WNZK-690 and nighttimer WNZK-680, both in Dearborn Heights, were counted as two stations.

Stations in the FCC database with "D" in front of their calls were counted.  Your guess is as good as mine as to whether they're still licensed.  Quite a few ARE still on the air per recent reports and my own monitoring.

In the handful of cases where dual cities of license are in different states ( e.g. KRLC-1350, KBMW-1450, WRLA-1490), I counted the state of the first-named city in the FCC database.

4712 grand total:  You'll find this number to be several dozen shy of the totals that the FCC periodically releases.  This has been the case for decades.  I suspect they count Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, etc. in their totals.  Or maybe it IS the U.S. only, and they include Construction Permits in the total.  On the FCC database, you can request a list of a given state's AM stations; they'll even give you the total number of stations at the end.  Those numbers were not used in this research; I investigated every individual listing, weeding out synchros, stations accidentally listed twice, and anomalies such as the Chicago-1240 situation cited above.  A few stations which took to the air in 2005 or 2006 are still listed as CP's, but have been reported as heard and on regular schedule in the DX press; these of course were counted.

Steve Francis
Alcoa, Tennessee