Re: [IRCA] Wind and dxing

At 03:27 PM 1/29/2006, you wrote:
>Message: 10
>Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:03:44 -0800
>From: cafe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [IRCA] Windy, and storm approaching
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It's was windy early this morning around 3:00 AM.  PST.  When out in the rain and wind to take the H-800 active ...
>...snip...
>>... setting up the 10' loop to try out this evening.  With the A index 8 and the K=2 it might be a good DXer evening.  Good Luck.
>
>Big storm blowing through Victoria right now --
>Peak gusts about 75km/hr at the moment..
>slightly lighter duty than on Friday night.
>
>Can you spell storm fatigue?
>
>Colin Newell in Victoria B.C. Canada

Colin is right.  Although a little early yet for MW dxing, I am listening to 6612 Zimbabwe at threshold levels.  It's fun to test my various receivers to see which one receives best.  The winner, hands down is my Kiwa mod AOR 7030+ in AMS.  Following 2nd is my Harris RF-590, and then the Icom 756 Pro2, and finally the Collins HF-2050.  I haven't turned on the R-390A, but suspect it would be a good performer as well.  Nothing on my NRD-535D except a het.  Never having been much of a fan of AMS (preferring SSB), I started using AM and AMS after some MW gurus suggested the same, and boy have I been pleasantly surprised!  It often makes the difference between hearing nothing, and hearing weak audio.  I understand that the WinRadio series has excellent AM/AMS reception capabilities.
As for the weather, Colin is correct.  I see my eavesdropper antenna is down in 2 pieces, but the rest seem to be doing just fine.  After playing 4 holes of golf, the wind just picked up and I beat a quick retreat home.  Also scrubbed a flight I had planned for later in the afternoon.  Not the place to be in a Cessna 172!  Glad we have dxing to fall back on!......Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC.