Re: [IRCA] The "mystery" of 1710khz

On Sunday 22 January 2006 09:16, Russ Edmunds wrote:
> --- "Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW" <AM-DXer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Isn't it odd that all of these stations around 1710 are slightly off
> >
> > frequency at a different spot? Or is this to be expected?
>
> *** Given that we're talking mostly about pirates I'd expect this.
> These transmitters are less stable to begin with, often operated
> without adequate temperature or even electrical power controls and by
> usually untrained or inexperienced people.

True, and I think it also often applies to licenced transmitters that are
low budget and/or poorly maintained operations, and to TIS installations
that are not in locations with good environmental control.  It is
facinating to look at a spectrum display of the carriers around 1610 -
there are dozens of them, spread across hundreds of Hz.  Amongst regular
stations, there are at least two in ex-band that are off by more than the
1710 pirates: CHHA Toronto is currently on 1610.0586, and KRND in WY is on
1629.8812.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON