Re: [IRCA] Sync Detection Question

On Monday 16 January 2006 05:16 pm, Neil Kazaross wrote:
> and the AOR is supposed to
> need more than 12 V.

Some have said that, but I've never noticed any difference running from
deep-cycle batteries myself. The designer said somewhere on the AOR UK site
that this was not really an issue. But, that's just my experience.

There are actually batteries available with extra cells, 14 Volt batteries.
I've seen these in a catalog one of my mechanic friends had laying around.
These were designed to be used as extra boosts for starting high-compression
race cars, and the extra cell was not charged by the engine. These had 3
posts on them. I don't know if these'd be deep-discharge types, but I doubt
it.

> Also, my AOR is broken (need an encoder fixed..who can
> do that in USA ?)

There were kits available to use the newer encoders. Does yours have these
already? These could be ordered, as I recall.  As far as working on the
radio, if you've a mind to have the work done at a service center, send it to
the UK if you want the radio done right. Period. I've talked to several folks
who have had poor experiences using US service centers. All of these radios
were later shipped to the UK and fixed right. And if you have the old
encoders, you might as well have them all fixed and be done with it.

Rick Kunath