Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Changes in USPS Postage and Advice

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Changes in USPS Postage and Advice

Cross Post to IRCA

         As a former Postal Clerk, I'll try and explain a couple of
things. The postcard (now 24 cents) is 24 cents (postage) + 2 cents
(for the card) - use your own/larger card (up to 4x6 inches) and pay
24 cents. Personally, I think postcards sold at the post office are
simply a convenience item.

         Clerks should have NO problem, as of 1/8, telling you the
exact postage for anything....the machines were (should have been)
reset to the new rates before opening for business on 1/8 (yes, some
large POs are open on Sundays) or 1/9 as the case may be.

         There WILL be a shortage of 1 cent and 2 cent stamps by
Tuesday. Why? Your post office ordered enough....it's just that
mailers didn't plan in advance for the change. In short, if you need
1 and/or 2 cent stamps or whatever denomination, haul your tail end
to your post office on Monday and get what you need. The last rate
increase, from 34 to 37 cents, found my drawer empty of 1, 2 and 3
cent stamps by the close of business the first day -- the same for
the other clerk, and postmaster. Naturally, it was our fault not
having enough stamps on hand.

         Turning in old postage. This usually applies to pre-stamped
envelopes, postcards, (usually not stamps, unless special
circumstances apply) etc....AND in a large quantity. I don't know if
there is a minimum amount ($) that has to be turned in, but my
postmaster set a $50 limit as I recall.

         This caveat - while $US green stamps are routinely sent to
radio stations, in foreign countries, as return postage, in some
countries possession of foreign currency is a crime and can lead to
prison time for the unsuspecting person at the radio station who
happens to receive the letter :'(  IRCs, when you can find them are
nice, but go for mint stamps if at all possible. I think I sold less
than a handful of IRCs in my 6 year tour with the USPS.

         Just some thoughts. Current Notice 123 (Ratefold) is available at:

PDF Format:             http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/notices/not123/not123.pdf

HTML:                   http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/ratesandfees.htm

International
Mail:     http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub51/pub51.pdf