[IRCA] Fence antenna

Hello Bert,

I have a 6' foot wooden fence along the sides of my house and back yard.  I use a balum to connect the antenna to the lead-in 50ohm cable.  The torrid core is shaped like a small donut.  The balum is 18 turns on one side and 6 turns on the other side wound on the torrid core. One end of  the 18-turn side is connected to the antenna and the other end is grounded.  On the 6-turn winding, one end is connected to the coax inner wire, the other end connected to the shield.   The antenna wire is just speaker wire that I split down the middle.  I use egg type insulators at the end of the antenna and in the corners.  Also every 30' I use TV stand-off insulators to keep the wire from sagging.  Just screw them into the fence.   My coax cable is short, only about 12'.  I got tired of going out every night and setting up the EWE, and taking it down in the morning.  When conditions are good, I don't mind.  But lately conditions have not been that good, so I hooked up the fence antenna to check frequencies and conditions.  I was very surprised that the fence antenna could hear TA's.  I also use a Palstar MW 550P and that helps improve the signal.

Dennis Vroom
Vancouver, WA