Re: [IRCA] WALE-990 still off

>   Grady great guy. Enjoyed making his acquaintance. He generously gave
full
> tour of site including Ampliphase & new Nautel. If memory serves aright,
one of
> the doghouses is where we tapped scanner into STL coax.

Grady also is CE for a number of AM stations, so it's always a good idea for
DXers to keep on his good side.  <grin>

>   Hmmm...yes, the, er, uh, issue of leaked transformer coolant. Of course
one
> can't be too sure about these things. On bright side, saves cost of mowing
> antenna field.

No, before that.  Rumor has it that Judge Arcaro owned that land before the
radio station got it.  And he allegedly allowed midnight dumping of glowing
and dubious refuse.  Serious stuff.  Anyone who buys that place had better
perform some real dye diligence.

>   Late 80's - early 90's good at WALE. Then things changed. White left
> following 'Steve White has been shot on Westminster Mall' blowback.
Blossoming
> rudeness from FCC and Providence PD, uneasy air settled over station.
Ominous.

They still didn't have money to pay everyone.  These days I only have one
client like that - and I only work for them because the harried GM is an old
friend.

>   Your mention of two-hop STL prompts memory of Grady explaining despite
STL
> transmitter height and Burrillville xmtr elevation, line of sight
nonetheless
> obstructed.

Yep.  950MHz doesn't like to bend on a regular basis.  At least not
predictably.

> So - that was The Steve White ex-WALE, WHJJ, and WKRI et al, whose obit
> appeared in Providence Journal 'Irish Sports Page' last year or so? Sad.
Way too
> young at 61, though '84 ProJo writeup gave his age then as 47. Le Showbiz.

Yes.  The Captain is gone..  These days he'd be one of the more tame
personalities.

And WALE-990 is still off as of 10:45pm EST.  WLGZ still in solid with it's
yawnfest.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI