[IRCA] Fun with ferrite

Some time back I bought a large ferrite bar from the Stormwise people.  I
never did much with it.  Today I decided to make an adapter to mount it to a
base I have so I could finally test it.  Here is a picture of the loop and
base:  http://www.chowdanet.com/ferrite.jpg

The ferrite is enclosed in a 20" length of 2" PVC pipe, and capped on each
end.

It is untuned much like the copper loops I've been working with lately.
Nulling is very good, and it acts much like those loops.  It is probably the
metal in the house such as wiring that affects all loops.

Sensitivity is on a par with the 30" loop I used last week.  It is
interesting that the optimum number of turns in the pickup link is the same
(4-6 turns) as the other type of loop.  I will wind a few dozen turns of
wire and add a variable capacitor.  I'm curious to see if making it a tuned
loop changes much.

So far it's been impressive.  For the size, it does very well.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI