[IRCA] QSL Managers/DX Tests/Etc.

Pete and the Group,

Pete Taylor's suggestion about presenting a professional
appearance when approaching stations is one that we've
taken to heart when reaching out for DX tests. Let me
clarify some points however:

1. The "Inventory Inserts" are not a replacement for full
duration tests. Rather a reflection of the real world
problems facing stations, and a novel solution to
getting tests from that stations that cannot or
will not run traditional tests.

Short notice tests of all kinds are the future. DX'ers
need to subscribe to e-mail lists to stay up to
date and be sure they don't miss tests.

I'm preaching to the choir if you're reading this, but
I can't say it enough.

2. While a promotional kit is a great idea, it doesn't take
into mind the realities of broadcasting. CE's are often
managing multiple stations, and turn over among
personnel is high.

This season alone, I've had two CE's who had already
agreed to doing tests leave their place of employment.
This leaves us without a test...and the Broadcast
Test Coordinator back to square one.

No club could afford to mail and re-mail promotional
kits to the stations.

For years the CPC position basically consisted of writing
a form letter to dozens and dozens of stations annually
asking for DX tests. This approach worked well when
station staffing was fairly permanent, most CE's were
also hams and understood DXing, QSL's, etc.

Nowadays, I get about a 5% return of "cold letters", though
I continue to send a dozen or so per month. Most of the returns
consist of "no longer employed here" or "we have obligations
for our overnight programming and cannot interrupt those
commitments", etc.

Much better luck is had with phone calls, e-mails, and best of
all personal contacts and relationships.

3. I support the idea of a "QSL Manager" for stations. A great way
to start might be to have DX'ers with the time, experience, etc.
to volunteer their services to the Clear Channel stations
in their towns, since they receive a large number of such
requests.

This personal relationship can then be parlayed into convincing
the station to also run a DX test. If they already have a good
relationship with a DX'er then it isn't that much of a reach.

But Pete Taylor is right that such volunteers must be professional
in their approach.

4. Unfortunately, I mainly hear the "horror story" side of QSL
requests from station managers. Some DX'ers are pushy, rude,
and overbearing in their quest to get that paperwork.

Personally, QSLing isn't a big part of my enjoyment of the hobby.
If I have an MP3 file with the station ID, that is much better
"proof" of reception than any card...but I do get them when
I can...display them with pride, and enjoy them.

But I do think QSL'ers need to be very realistic about their
request. You're asking someone to do you a favor. Take
time out of their day to answer a letter from someone
who enjoys something they likely don't understand.

Never be rude and remember that your actions reflect
on all of us, good and bad.

I encourage all DX'ers to get to know their local broadcasters.
Attend an SBE meeting or ask around at ham club meetings
to see if others know engineering staff. If you're polite, most
will be flattered by your interest. Buy the poor guy a lunch
and talk about how he got into radio. Even if he isn't a ham,
chances are he'll understand our love of radio on some
level.

Then use that relationship to help all of us by asking for
a test. Remember we're happy to provide test material,
do QSL chores, or whatever it takes to make a test
work.

73,

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film