Re: [IRCA] Where are they now?

--- Begin Message ---
Thanks to those who replied to my recent question of the whereabouts of formerly active DXers Al Merriman (K4GLU) and Ray Moore.

I don't recall that Ray Moore had any connection to Key West. He was in Fort Myers, as Nick mentioned. Among other things, he designed the RSM-105 passive loop - a good performer especially in urban situations where high-Q unamplified loops offer the most payback, well at least before every living quarter became an RFI den of iniquity with switching supplies, cable boxes, and noisy "efficient" light fixtures. At his FL QTH, Ray had some longpath success with east Asia / Australia via South Pole / South America.

Al Merriman moved from the DC area to Chincoteague Island and had a start-up year with loggings in the same league as what New England DXers, 400 miles closer to Europe on the same track, were reporting. And then he disappeared from the "radar". That's got to be at least 15 years ago. Pre-Facebook-era by my reckoning. At least, per FCC info via Bruce Portzer, he's still on the "right side of the grass" and living in Madison, South Dakota. Likely not much TA DX for him anymore but maybe a few TP's.

Another formerly active DXer name that popped into my head is Elliot Strauss of NJ. Maybe someone knows something about him.

Another DXer of the past, Richard Eckman, is on Facebook and seems to be in the Far East a lot on business. It would appear that his case is one of too many other things to do. People like that sometimes do get back to the hobby when retirement comes along.

All the above used to spin out some great log reports.

I'll take this opportunity to say hi to Chris Black, formerly active not much more than a mile from here. He was moving out of the neighborhood about the time I was moving in. Good luck and DX out west Chris.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

--- End Message ---