From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Volodya S <canswl@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2019 4:09:36 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: [IRCA] Masset DXpedition 27 Dec 2018 to 2 January 2019

*Latest DXpedition from Masset, BC 27 Decemmber 2018 to 2 January 2019*

     Well, another DXpedition under the belt to my favourite DX cottage off
the north coast of British Columbia, Canada.  Conditions for the most part
were very good, although I think I just caught the tail end of the superb
TA conditions.  If only I could have been up in Masset a day or two
sooner!  Asian conditions were, as always, very nice with excellent
openings to Japan, Korea and China.  Plus, some interesting Filipinos,
especially a new one for me on 1611, a smattering of Australia including
armchair 4KZ 531 Innisfail, and Bangladesh was back one morning with 693
until 17:30 sign-off.  This time of the year, the DX keeps on coming, with
the TPs carrying on until the afternoon hours, locally.  The Iranian buzzer
on 1575 heard frequently in Victoria was a daily visitor, both in our
mornings, and into the afternoons/early evenings, as was 1539 Asianet via
the UAE.  I’ve collected many GB of Perseus wav files to enjoy for years to
come.  There was plenty of time to experiment with antennas.  I had a total
of 5 to choose from:  The best, as always, is my 750’ WNW BoG.  Then, the 2
nd most used was the 500’ due north over the Pole Beverage.  My permanent
ALA 100LN large diameter loop oriented NE/SW is a good reference antenna.
I erected a permanent 65’ x 35’ FLG 100 corner fed loop antenna this time
around, and swung the direction to the S overnight, and to the north in the
evenings with results perhaps about 75% as good as the Beverage/BoG.
Finally, I toyed with a staggered // BoG and a phaser with occasional
useful results.  Not sure whether it was worth the effort, though!
Besides the DX, there was always time for good food (thanks to my wife’s
family in Masset….fish, deer roast, pies, chili…yum!), and exercise with
golf and the polar bear swim on New Year’s Day.    And, of course the
famous Wullenweber array at the Canadian Forces Station in Masset is the
location of the pretty 9 hole golf course, giving superb views of the array
from every angle!   The latter is still functional, although remotely now
via Ottawa, ON.  I’ve been told that the usage has increased owing to the
antics of Vladimir Putin!

Now onto the really good stuff!   Receivers were 2 Perseus SDRs only, each
fed to it’s own laptop.  Errors, as always, are my own, and I appreciate
comments and corrections.  Sometimes one gets a little bleary eyed in the
early morning or late nights!   73 and the best of 2019 to all, Walt
Salmaniw, Victoria.

153 NORWAY Ingoy 100 kW NRK, Jan 1 0057 - Good reception tonight with all
western music. Joined by both Icelandic frequencies at good levels (189 and
207), as well as 162 (OC), 198 BBC, 234 Luxembourg and 252 RTE.  Into news
at 01:00, clearly Norwegian.  Probably the best LW propagation I've heard
on this trip, but not translating to anything in the MW band.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

153 ROMANIA Brasov Bod 200 kW ND Antena Satelor (tent) vs more likely NRK
Norway, Dec 29 1431 - Something totally unexpected, but weak audio hear on
the over the Pole Beverage.  Makes sense as the Grayline for transmitter
LSS is over Romania now.  Too weak to make out any content, though.
Improved and just about readable at 15:00.  Will be interesting whether
other LW from Europe will be audible as sunset goes across western Europe!
Much better on recheck at 15:59 with an English song.  No time pips at TOH,
but into presumed news, first by a YL, and then OM.  Still no other LW
audible this morning.  Later in our local evening (00:57 UTC 30 Dec),
reception again at fair to good level.  ***Now I'm confused.  This might in
fact be NRK according to MW List with 100 kW in Ingoy.  I had thought they
had left the air on LW and MW long ago???  So could very well be Norway and
not Romania??  Grayline passed through Norway at the same time.  Have to
admit, the intonation sounds more Norwegian than Romanian.  At same time
(01:00 UTC 30 Dec), besides 189, I'm also hearing 252 weakly (sounding more
English than Arabic), but no one else from Europe on LW. (Salmaniw,Masset,
BC)

189 ICELAND Gufuskalar 300 kW Rikisutvarpid Ras, Dec 29 0548 - Compared to
last night, tonight is practically a write-off, except for Iceland.
Yesterday, the LW band was extremely noisy, but with the steady drizzle
today, the presumed salt spray build up on the power lines have washed
away, leaving Iceland to be heard at good level.  // rarely heard 207 also
quite strong (but in the middle of beacons).  Going out for dinner, I left
the recorder going and a very interesting thing happened.  The signal died
away, but at 04:37, it suddenly increased in strength to near armchair
level.  Next day at 00:55 30 Dec 2018, again very nice reception on the
North Beverage (with added 5 ground radials for what they're worth!).
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

207 ICELAND Gufuskalar 100 kW Rikisutvarpid Ras, Dec 29 0551 - Rarely
heard, indeed, and almost as strong as 198.  Surrounded, though, by strong
beacons make this one a challenge. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

531 ALGERIA F'Kirina 600/300 kW Jil FM, Dec 28 0137 - Often outstanding
reception with Arabic music.   549 is a difficult channel here to check for
//.  Lower frequencies have a bit of power line noise here in Masset.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

531 AUSTRALIA Dalwallinu W Australia 10 kW 6DL ABC Midwest & Wheatbelt
(tent), Dec 30 1500 - While listening to this channel before the TOH, I
could hear some English being spoken under the dominant NHK 1 program.  At
15:00, there was the ABC Fanfare, so does this mean that it must be 6DL?
Occasionally rises over NHK briefly. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

531 AUSTRALIA Innisfail, Queensland 5 kW 4KZ, Dec 30 1558 - Commercial ads
now in English, and no sign of NHK1.  Ads for tackle and bait, and
motorcycles and more.  No ABC fanfare at TOH this hour, so not ABC.  Time
pips likely NHK 1's.  Very good level by 16:03 with news by YL.  'Live on
the internet, 4KZ.AU' at 16:03:30.  Perfect!  I had thought of checking //
5055 and a minute ago, I did so, and though weak on the SW frequency, still
same female voice.  Marine weather after 16:04.  TC for '5 after 3'.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

531 UNID unid, Jan 2 1434 - Who's the EZL music station heard cochannel to
JOQG Morioka, the dominant channel here?  Confirmed not 4KZ, and style
doesn't match Avtoradio Sakhalin (if they're still on the air).  NHK
sometimes fades down to reveal others cochannel.  I happened to tune back
just after 16:02 and there was a national anthem in progress.  Possibly a
Filipino? Will need to go back and go over the Perseus wav file.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

540 JAPAN Yamagata 5 kW + others NHK 1, Dec 31 1751 - It's all NHK 1 all
the time, on every channel!  Japanese opera like singing, heard on 531,
540, 549, 567, 576, 585, 594, 603 (under Korea), and 612, and that's just
on the lower channels!  On 540, there are 6 transmitters, so it could be
any of them, with 1 or 5 kW. A shame NHK 1 doesn't ID as conveniently as
the NHK 2 network. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

567 JAPAN Sapporo, Hokkaido 100 kW JOIK, Dec 28 1712 - Huge signal totally
in the clear with blues music.  Cochannels weakly audible as well.  Clearly
a nice post LSR enhancement to Japan.  Just when I was planning on heading
back for breakfast!   // to other NHK1 outlets, such as 594.  and others in
the vicinity, but none as strong as Sapporo!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

594 JAPAN Tokyo NHK1 300 kW JOAK, Dec 29 1401 - For second day, besides the
ever dominant JOAK, there's a cochannel.  At this time, they're playing
Elvis Presley's 'Heartbreak Hotel'.  This is different from the usual up
here.  I assumed this was the Filipino, DZBB.  We'll see (and I see PAL
lists off on Sundays from 16:00 which will be useful). (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

594 PHILLIPINES Super Radyo Quezon City 20 kW DZBB (tent), Dec 28 1733 -
Predominantly JOAK Tokyo with an American Jazz program, but every once in a
while, another station fades up and dominates to good level.  Quite certain
it's DZBB, as it fits the Super Radyo format.  Not in English, but presumed
Tagalog.  Would be nice if it was one of the other exotics on channel like
Burma or Jakarta!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

675 VIETNAM My Van 700 kW Dai Tieng noi Viet Nam (VOV 1), Dec 28 1452 -
Armchair copy at times in the lovely sing song Vietnamese language.  Did
fade down significantly before returning.  Tells me there are interesting
things happening in the ionosphere.   Of course they faded down before the
TOH, only to return strongly at 15:01.  Gone are the days of strident,
North Korean like presentation!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

684 JAPAN Nagasaki 5 kW JOAG and others, Jan 1 1731 - I'm hoping to find
India on this frequency (has been heard in past), and there were
tantalizing traces of Indian sounding music.  Nonetheless, the NHK 1
network is playing classical music this morning which is easy to follow.
Just before 17:30, I quickly checked and noted the same program on 531,
540, 549, 567, 576, 585, 594, 603, 612, 621, 648, 666, 675, 684, 729, 756,
819, 837, 846, 891, 945, 963 and, then I ran out of steam!!!  On 684,
though, the dominant is IBC with the main transmitter being JODF in Morioka
with 5 kW, and 3 other translators of 0.1 and 1 kW.  Way over the NHK 1
sender. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

693 BANGLADESH Dhaka 1000 kW Bangladesh Betar, Jan 1 1644 - Very good
reception in Bangla with many mentions of Bangladesh.  It's been a while
since hearing this one, and I'm most pleased!  Best heard on the north
Beverage.  Did fade down some.  But returned a number of times at good
level!  Checked in just before 17:30, and indeed, they seemed to go off
without any announcements.  Just some music. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

693 UNID Unid, Jan 1 1459 - Another interesting channel once JOAB signs off
from Tokyo with 500 kW leaving an OC.  Once again a mish mash of signals.
Up to the TOH, EZL music sounded religious in nature.  Perhaps a Filipino,
but of course, the TOH fanfare splatter from 690 destroys any chance for an
ID.  Many signals measured on the zoom function:  692.987 (very weak),
692.998, 693.000 (likely JOAB), 693.002, 693.003, and 693.004.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

702 NORTH KOREA Chongjin 50 kW KCBS, Dec 31 1734 - Huge buzzy OC, with
Australia 2BL ABC Sydney clearly heard underneath.  100 Hz tones visible
above and below (9 are visible on the waterfall).  Also a het on 703.0.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

747 JAPAN Sapporo, Hokkaido 500 kW JOIB, Jan 2 0511 - Pretty rare to report
audio at this early hour, as Sapporo is still almost 2 hours from LSS.
English lesson at fair to good level, mostly problematic due to very loud
750 splatter (KFQD Anchorage with S9 + 50 signal....ouch!!!!.  No way to
phaser them out!).  Instead, easier to tune to 702 JOKD which is much as
strong (despite 10 kW) and more in the clear.  Kitami is at the northern
end of Hokkaido, so closest to LSS.   Rechecked 702 at 05:46, very strong
with now Spanish language lesson.  S9+25!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

774 CHINA Wuhan 200 kW Hubei RGD (tent), Jan 1 1445 - Another morning that
NHK 2 network signed off at 14:40.  Of course JOUB  from Akita with 500 kW
dominates totally, then leaves the OC on.  There are numerous stations on
the waterfall, all about equal strength, so a mish mash of speakers.  I
measure 6 frequencies:  773.977 (very weak), .996, 774.000 (presumably
Akita), .007, .026, and very weakly .051.  Akin to listening to 1610 TIS
frequency.  A lot of speakers all at once without anyone being strong
enough to dominate.  Chinese music is heard at 14:54, so one of their
transmitters, perhaps Hubei RGD (200 kW listed on one sender from them).
No hint of DU activity yet.  Music improved towards the TOH.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

774 JAPAN Akita 500 kW JOUB, Dec 31 1440 - I was happily listening to their
English lesson, when they suddenly pulled the plug and went into their sign
off routine (after JOUB ID).  Normally at the end of their language
lessons, they say, 'Goodbye', etc.  Very good. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

803.66 NORTH KOREA Hwadae 500 kW Pyongyang Bangsong, Dec 28 1749 - Buzzy,
highly variable carrier with Korean vocals, typical of North Korea.
Constantly drifting several hundred Hz.  Seems // to 3320.  Down to 803.3
at 17:52 and heading back up.  Nominal 801 has someone there, but under a
strong, seemingly unmodulated carrier with a bit of a buzz, too.  Same
Pyongyang transmitter?. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

803.81 NORTH KOREA Hwadae 500 kW Pyongyang Bangsong, Dec 31 1739 - Buzzy,
drifting, almost FM like signal continues here today with typical North
Korean strident vocals.  Drifted up to 804.31 by 17:45.  // 3320.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

810 CHINA  Hangzhou 200 kW Zhejiang RGD, Dec 31 1800 - A presumed logging,
with what sounds like a TV feed.  PAL lists many transmitters with Hangzhou
strongest, but with others between 1 and 10 kW.  No echos heard, though.
South Korean jammer comes up every once in a while.  Mostly very good
reception.  Was looking for AFN, but no joy. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

828 JAPAN Osaka 300 kW JOBB, Dec 30 1531 - One never knows for sure when
the NHK2 network signs off.  Since arriving several days ago, it seems they
signed off at 14:40, but today when tuned in at 15:31, they were already
into their xylophone portion of the sign off, so presumably 15:30 today.
Very good reception. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

840 CANADA Camrose AB 50/40 kW CFCW, Dec 31 2352 - C&W music, of course
mixing with several other cochannels.  The strongest is the Albertan.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

850 ALASKA Nome 50 kW KICY, Dec 31 0440 - Good reception with detailed
weather report.  I log this one since conditions are more southerly
tonight.  I have a number of antennas to choose from individually:  ALA 100
LN to NE/SW, North Beverage, NW BoG and a second shorter BoG parallel to
the first, unterminated about 2 to 3' from the main BoG,  and S/SW directed
corner fed to FLG 100LN loop.  None of these on their own could hear KICY,
but phasing the 2 BoGs, I'm able to hear clear copy.  Nice!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1116 AUSTRALIA Brisbane 17/6.3 kW 4BC, Dec 28 1625 - Nice ID at 16:26, and
best heard on the ALA 100 aimed SW/NE.  Good reception, but not super
strong. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1170 ALASKA North Pole 50 kW KJNP, Dec 28 1437 - Drawn to the American
National Anthem followed by full legal ID including translators throughout
Alaska (starting with Barrow) at good level, with only slight otherwise
domestic cochannel, and no sign of Korea, which is the usual dominant.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1188 JAPAN Kitami Hokkaido 10 kW JOKP, Jan 1 0547 - Despite there being
over an hour to LSS at transmitter site, we were already hearing NHK 1
Kitami at pretty decent levels.  Precious little activity to the south
tonight, it seems.  Another Hokkaido station on 1287 HOHR in Sapporo also
in, as is JOIB Sapporo on 747.  Nothing very strong tonight, however.
Interesting, I didn't think that Christmas Is was even on tonight on 846,
but using the phaser, I was able to see the waterfall, phasing the 2 //
staggered BoGs. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1260 CANADA Edmonton 50 kW CFRN, Dec 31 2110 - Driving into town (about a
10 minute drive), of course I checked the AM band on the Nissan Frontier
truck radio.  The upper band especially was alive with signals every 10
kHz, but alas no hets indicating TA signals.  One of the strongest was from
Edmonton, a good distance away,but about a similar latitude in Alberta.  ID
for TSN.  Excellent, of course. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1305.093 IRAN Bushehr 50 kW IRIB Radio Bushehr, Dec 28 0237 - Clearly off
channel, with Middle Eastern chants, dominating the channel.  Het from
on-channel station(s), likely Spain, although here, I also see 2 channels,
on 1305.003 (stronger) and 1304.998 (now about equal).  Overall is an
unpleasant hum.  Weak modulation all around. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1440 MULTIPLE Unid, Jan 1 1514 - 1440 is another challenging frequency.
I'd love to hear one of the two AFN Korea stations on this frequency, but
it's an uphill battle.  Besides domestics, JOWF is the ever dominant force
with 50 kW from Sapporo.  Mauno Ritola on FB kindly provided the
information for the AFN stations, as there's been some changes.  Camp
Humphreys in Pyongtaek with 5 kW is measured on 1440.012.  No one like that
here today, while Camp Carroll in Waeguan is also 5 kW on 1439.989 which I
DO see this morning.  Here are the readouts on the waterfall:   1439.989
(quite strong), .991, .993 (strong), .996 (strong), .997 (strong), .998,
1440.000 (strongest, so maybe STV), and 1440.008.  One day, perhaps, AFN
will sneak through!  An internet feed (if I had internet) would be very
helpful!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1440 SAUDI ARABIA Ras al-Khair 1600 kW SBC Radio Riyadh (tent), Dec 31 1621
- I'm thinking this is the Saudi on this busy channel.  Music sure would
match.  Was over the Japanese and domestics for a while, but never any
voice, so tentative only. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1467.385 IRAN Qom 100 kW IRIB Radio Qom, Dec 31 1616 - To prove that Asian
signals are possible in our mornings, I'm getting a good het on this off
channel, which is highly likely to be Iran.  Another station on
fundamental, but not that strong.  Het is heard only on the north
Beverage.  Also the on-channel frequency also best heard on the north
Beverage.  ? Saudi. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1485 UNID unid, Jan 2 0047 - One of the few frequencies with some audio
tonight.  1485 is pretty much a graveyard channel.  Nothing very powerful.
Certainly from Europe/Africa/Central Asia at this time, but who.  Had an
Arabic hint to the music, but too weak to be sure, yet.  I suspect it may
be present on other nights monitored, so a frequency to watch for sure, as
most powers are all 10 kW or less. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1485 UNKNOWN Unid, Dec 31 0012 - Wonder who's here playing an English
language ballad.  Only low powered stations listed in MWList.  Strongest is
10 kW (Spain, Egypt, Ethiopia, and Iran).  I'm guessing most likely Spain.
So far, Iran on 1575 is by far the loudest. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1494 TAIWAN Taizhong and Wanhua 10 kW BEE32 Educational Broadcasting
System, Jan 1 1624 - Unid is solved!  Everything falls into place now.  I'm
hearing French at good level over Japan.  ?French....that's most unusual.
Digging into PAL further, it's now obviously BEE32, which lists 2
transmitters (hence the echo) with BBCWS from 15 to 16 (what I heard
earlier), and now RFI in French from 16 to 17.  Solved!. (Salmaniw,Masset,
BC)

1494 UNID unid, Jan 1 1537 - An English speaker here!  Up to a minute ago,
the RSK network dominates (JOYR Okayama has 10 kW, and JOTL HBC from Nayoro
Hokkaido has 1 kW plus relays), but then a slightly DU accented YL began to
dominate in English, before the JJ speakers returned.  There is the Kiwi
station in Hamilton with 3 kW (Star) which would match their tone, and
another in Timaru (Radio Sport) at 2.5 kW, and 2AY Albury NSW with 2 kW.
Even V6AI in Colonia Yap FSM, with 10 kW would not be excluded.  Then there
are the Filipinos.  Doesn't sound like a Filipino, though.  What troubles
me is the presence of occasional echoing.  Why from the English speaker?
At 15:45, they faded up again, and sounds like talk about suicide.
Possibly heard BBC WS ID at TOH.  I'm leaning towards NZ on this one, but a
real challenge.  ***Solved!****    See next 1494 entry!. (Salmaniw,Masset,
BC)

1539 UAE Al-Dhabbaya 600 kW Asianet Radio, Jan 1 1607 - Clearly them at
good level with Indian type music, but faded down to a jumble, likely China
(not CNR 1). (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1539 UAE Al-Dhabbaya 600 kW Asianet Radio, Dec 28 0132 - Very powerful
signal, easily overpowering domestics on 1540.  Indian sounding music.
Heard very well hours ago, too, today, in the middle of our afternoon.  S9
+ 10 signal. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1539 UAE Al-Dhabbaya 600 kW Asia Net, Dec 30 2356 - Presumed audio from
them, at lest briefly.  At this time, also seeing activity on 1593, 1566,
1557, 1539, 1503 (Koran recitation it sounds like at 23:59, so presumably
Egypt).  1485, 1467.43 (presumably IRIB), and 1467, 1458, 1422, 1413 (good
audio, Radio Vesti), 1341, 1278, 1269, surprisingly 1215 only a weak
carrier so far, 1161, 1098, and 531.  Also and LW are 198, and esp 189 with
good audio, and 153.  Interesting that the opening is mostly upper half of
the band so far.  Earlier 531 was coming in with pretty decent audio.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1539 UAE Al-Dhabbaya 600 kW Asianet Radio, Dec 31 1610 - Good reception,
especially on the North Beverage.  Switched here when I noted the loud
Iranian buzzer again on 1575.  Very good at 16:29 recheck with Indian type
music.  Totally dominating the channel and it's still 45 min or so until my
LSR. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1548 AUSTRALIA Emerald, Queensland 50 kW 4QD ABC Central Queensland, Dec 28
1725 - The post dawn enhancement continues with a general enhancement to
China, Korea, and now strong to 4QD, Australia, but only briefly, as they
faded down soon after, but came back again a minute later.  An interesting
ionosphere today, indeed!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1548 KUWAIT Al-Kuwayt/Umm al-Rimam  300/600 kW Radio Sawa, Dec 31 2003 -
Almost certainly them.  A difficult channel 24/7 due to a lower mainland
very powerful 1550 transmitter, so always a lot of splatter to contend
with, but style fits Sawa.  Fair during fade ups. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1557 TAIWAN Kouhu 300 kW directional Music Interactive Network, Jan 1 1612
- I've been watching 1557 because of a rumbly noise in the background, and
wide tracing on the waterfall.  Multiple equally spaced lines are visible
on both sides of 1557.  Presumably Taiwan with good level of Chinese
speaking.  Pretty sure I heard 'Taiwan' at 16:15 and into fanfare and
something 'official' sounding.  Does not sound at all like a music
channel.  Clearly a sick transmitter (more like a North Korean!), with
buzzy audio with music when rechecked at 17:38.  Strong signal, otherwise.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1575 IRAN Abadan 800 kW Iranian jammer, Dec 28 1629 - Easily heard, best on
the North Beverage, as one would expect.  Cochannel to VOA Thailand.
Interesting that I don't hear AFN today, as usually is the case when the
jammer can be heard.  Strong at times.  I take that back.  No AFN on the
North Beverage, but there equal to VOA on the NW BoG (and the jammer barely
heard). (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1575 IRAN Abadan 800 kW Iranian jammer, Dec 30 2351 - Nothing like my first
afternoon and evening here, yet, there are some signs of life for TA
activity.  A number of stations are being received including the loud
Iranian buzzer jammer.  Let's see whether anything will come to pass!
Fingers crossed.  I just erected a North directed corner fed loop (with FLG
100) and it's perfoming as well as my 500' Beverage.  I can switch it
around quite easily to make a southerly loop for tomorrow morning, if
conditions permit. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1575 IRAN Abadan 800 kW Super loud buzz, Dec 28 0221 - Have been hearing
the buzzer all afternoon, and it continues unabated, but at 02:23, presumed
Radio Farda came to dominate for a few seconds with 'Smooth Operator'.  S9
+ 10 signal. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1575 JAPAN AFN Misawa, Iwakuni and Sasebo AFN, Dec 30 1707 - 3 transmitters
here, and I have heard all 3 with sometimes different programs.  Today, I'm
only hearing one feed spread out between 1574.999 to 1575.002, and another
weaker channel on 1574.993, and possibly another weaker 'smudge' on
1574.998.  Good reception of the mostly music program after Fox sports.
S9+ 15 signal shows what's available here in Masset!   As for the Iranian
jammer, no sign of them now.  ID at 17:11 as, 'If you want oldies, see your
grandma.  Serving America's best, The Eagle'.  PSA at 17:14:30 (pick up
after your pet). Local ad for a pick up service after a night of drinking.
Should be able to track down which transmitter, here, although it's
normally Misawa. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1575 JAPAN AFN network AFN, Dec 30 1542 - AFN is coming in well at this
time with American pop music.  Also very strong is the Iranian Jammer,
especially so with my over the Pole Beverage.  I taped the next 2 hours,
and have listened to them later in the day.  At 18:26, the signal improved
to very good level, just in time for a perfect local ID, with the Misawa
Radio Report.  Mentioned building 106, then into Air Force Radio news, and
back to Eagle music programming.. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1575 UAE Al-Dhabbaya 800 kW Radio Farda, Jan 2 0033 - Ever present jammer
nice and loud tonight, but so is the audible programming from Radio Farda.
Not much else at this time besides weak audio on 1215.  One question about
1575:  Just before heading out for some golf this afternoon, I quickly
tuned 1575, and there they were in English!  No time to check for details,
but this should have been long past AFN fading out (and it wasn't their
style at all).  Does Farda have any English, including lessons?  I did
start the Perseus recorder, so can go back to check!  Not sure whether
anything will develop tonight.  As so often is the case, the late afternoon
looks promising, only to fizzle later.  Certainly LW is poor tonight
compared to last night.  Notice that 1539 is at good level at 00:38 with
typical Asianet programming, too.  Had the chance to trial a 30 to 35'
height x 45 foot horizontal corner fed to FLG 100 loop aimed virtually N/S
and reversible.  In general, the loop performed well.  I'd say about 75% as
good as the 500' Beverage.  For space limitations, it's a winner.  I will
likely leave that one up, as it's close to the shack and simple to
maintain.  I also have a DKAZ here, but not erected this time, so cannot
compare it with the loop.  The loop is much better than a simple ALA 100 ,
although the latter is a lovely all round antenna for LW to SW.  Not so
much for heavy duty DXing.  I even experimented with ground loops according
to directions provided by Nick Hall-Patch (from a ham publication).  I used
a square 30' a side (double the size of the article).  While better than
nothing,  it was the weakest of all of my antennas.  It most definitely
needed the FLG 100 for a boost.  Deaf otherwise.  I don't think I'll bother
with it in the future.  Bottom line, the Beverage/BoG still wins hands-down
on Haida Gwaii!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1590 USA Netarts OR 5 kW KTIL, Dec 31 2337 - Amazing that way up north,
driving in my truck to town, I pick up 1520 from the Oregon coast at
armchair level!  Don't think I ever hear them in Victoria.  Oldies format.
Of course no issue at the shack here, although there are others here as
well, depending on the antenna choice. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1611 AUSTRALIA Vision Radio Network (tent)  NOT, Dec 28 1422 - Very nice
reception this morning and in fact, likely the best I've ever heard them.
Super 8 Grocery ad at 14:26.  Several others in succession.  'World Class
Quality'.  Numerous carriers noted, so it's difficult to be sure who this
one belongs to:  1610.940, .984, .996, 1611.000, .011, .015 and .023.  The
on-channel station sounds best.  Most likely Vision Radio Network, as
there's a Christian song at 14:31. Several sites are listed:  Sydney,
Tarnworth, Melbourne, Margaret River, Grafton, Chiltern, and Adelaide.  All
with 400 watts.  Deep fades at times, only to come back to good level
(pretty common in the X-band).  Rechecking at 15:44, they're not in English
anymore.  Unid language, so now I'm not so sure who this is.  Did hear
'Jerusalem', so likely a religious program.   Rete Italia/Niche Radio does
list other languages, so perhaps them?  See Philippines below!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1611 PHILIPPINES Naga City 1 kW DWNX Radyo Mo Nationwide, RMN, Dec 28 1543
- Almost certainly them, after all, as they ID'd.  'Nationwide' clearly
heard.  Sounds like sign-off announcements at 15:50.  Phone numbers given.
'Ladies and Gentlemen, the Phillipines National Anthem' at 15:51:30, so I
suspect that it was them all along!  A new one for my logbook!   Very nice
reception on 31 Dec as well, with 'Radio Mo' jingle at 15:43.  15:58,
'Happy New Year', and then into a new year song.  Often a very good level,
but when fades a bit, a lot of 1620 splatter.  Lots of mentions of RMN (the
network = Radyo Mo Nationwide). (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1611 PHILIPPINES Naga City 1 kW DWNX, Dec 31 1704 - Excellent reception
with almost armchair copy with continuous music.  Presumably on late for
New Year's.  A bit of splatter from 1620 only.  Sounds a lot like the Dutch
hobby pirates, with similar music, and few IDs!  Caught them just as they
were signing off before 17:22.  With a prayer, 'help us to live in peace
with one another as brothers', then suddenly off.  Rechecking at 19:51, and
they (presumably them) back on the air at fair +(at times) level.  Same
1620 splatter as always.  PAL lists them from 20:00 to 15:00, so either
holiday hours or outdated information. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1656 AUSTRALIA unid, Dec 28 1730 - Pretty decent audio at times, but not
fitting with Hindi (Radio Rhythm, Melbourne), nor Voice of the Australian
Chinese (Brisbane and Sydney).  ? 2ME, but they're in Arabic, with an
empahsis on Hit songs, so who knows.  Latter listed in Perth, though.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1663.5 JAPAN Tahara, Aichi prefecture Isewan Martis, Dec 28 1649 - Not
often (ever?) reported, but fair reception of this maritime station.
Shared with Nagoya, Osaka, and Tokyo, but matches this time.  Some noise
from 1665.  In Japanese.  Heard better notching 1665 and opening up the
bandwidth a tad. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1860 USA Wentzville, Missouri WA0RCR, Dec 30 0405 - Good reception with
Gateway 160 meter program.  ID'd and into a repeat of a net from Dec 19th
(I think).  WOR is scheduled tomorrow night.  WOR heard at another time,
though:  05:17 in mid report at good level UT Sunday.  Nice to hear Glenn
actually on the radio, instead of just downloading his program!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)