[IRCA] Introduction

--- Begin Message ---
ÂÂÂÂ Gâday. I thought it was time to sendsomething in. I am a 65 year old retired Electrical Engineer. Most of mydesigns went in to sonarâ and all of them are now obsolete (by the timeelectronics get to manufacturing, they are obsolete!) My design legacy is theâWâ on the University of Washington Husky football helmet. While I was incollege, I âworkedâ as a football manager (with the equipment) and when DonJames became head coach, he wanted a new helmet design. I did the âWâ whichapparently caught on big time (too bad I didnât get royalties, hi). For thosewatching the Rose Bowl today!

ÂÂÂÂ I started DXing in 1968 when I entered acontest in Jr High to see who could hear the most stations over a weekâs time.I used an old console radio my parents had retired and heard a few stations, butI was hooked! The fellow running the contest told me about writing stations forverifications, so I started doing that. My verification request to KOB wasâcanvassedâ by Don Erickson and I received a sample âDX Monitorâ. Naturally, Ijoined and discovered other DXers, some of whom lived near me! As of now, Ihave heard 2157 stations (I count call changes â most of my new stations thesedays).

ÂÂÂÂ I have used many different radios and antennasand have a modest collection of them. My first DX radio was the âoriginalâRadio Shack TRF along with a Worcester Space Magnet ferrite loop antenna. Ihave used many communication receivers; my favorite being a Drake R-7 and R-392as well as several loop antennas (built a few too).

ÂÂÂÂ Recently, I have started DXing again (Ilisten on our car radio while my wife is thrift shopping â some parking lotsare better than others, hi). I have noticed a few things that have changedsince I was active. Almost all stations have network programs during most ofthe hour, and there even more sports stations than before. Station IDs are veryhard to getâ not everyone IDs at the top of the hour (especially ESPN!) andmost do not ID during the hour (bottom of the hour IDs are almostnon-existent). Several stations use an FM frequency and slogan in their pseudoIDs (the NRC log lists FM parallels now). A lot of spots are not local, whichmakes me wonder if they are logged by the station?

ÂÂÂÂ One positive thing that has happenedâ theinternet. Most stations have webcasts, which sometimes makes it possible todecide whether to stay on a frequency to wait for an ID, or move on. I can noteparts of spots and then look up the business on-line to verify spelling andthose few words that I missed. Recently, I managed to get an Email verification(1 day turn around). Graveyard frequencies are a mess (well they became thatway when most stations went to 1000 watts and are even worse now).

ÂÂÂÂ Iâve helped out IRCA in several ways overthe years. Currently, I am Editor-in-Chief of âDX Monitorâ and run the GoodieFactory (have you purchased your Mexican Log yet?) Please send me any ideas forimproving the bulletin.

ÂÂÂÂ In addition to AM DXing, I collect radiostickers. I have over 45000 US and Canadian in my collection (and even more totrade). I am actively seeking stickers and will purchase collections, or extras, from other collectors. I tradewith a few folks as well.

ÂÂÂÂ Best of DX to yâall from pb

--- End Message ---