Re: [IRCA] OT - app for latitude / longitude readout on phones

--- Begin Message ---
What I want is that the coordinates can be read off the phone screen. If they can be exported to a file along with a time stamp, that would be great but taking down the info with pencil and paper is not a problem if necessary.

I'm thinking if you take two readings within a few minutes at the same general site, let's say 200 ft. apart, that the difference between them will still be close to the right answer in terms of bearing and distance since the correction factor at each point would cancel out when subtracting one result from the other.

Of course if the correction factors jump around in the course of minutes, all bets are off.

Agreed that the absolute accuracy isn't going to be spot on. You could take readings at a known location to figure out what the error calculation would be, at least on a short term basis.

If you are building a travel spreadsheet, location versus time, in most cases you know your route. If the plotted out data shows that you are consistently 50 ft. south of the highway you knew you were on, you can mathematically weed out that kind of error.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Mark -

I presume you want GPS to allow calculation of distances since bearing is easily done with compass apps.

You didn't mention exactly what you are trying to do but I thought I would mention that GPS accuracy at its best is not good enough for antenna construction and installation.

And on -not-the-best days, you can't expect an absolute accuracy of anything better than maybe 20 feet. Half that on good days.

If you're trying to measure wire length, I'm afraid a Harbor Freight 100 or 300 foot tape measure is still the way to go.
Chuck

--- End Message ---