Re: [IRCA] Loop antenna question

Thanks for the link to Everett's mobius strip loop experiments, Nick! I
wasn't aware he's worked on any antennas buy FSLs.

Interestingly, he's discovered the "PEX AL PEX" tubing that the LZ1AQ loops
frequently use. I thought the tubing was available only in Europe, but
Everett mentions finding a supplier in the USA. With its aluminum skin and
semi-rigid plastic form, this tubing is a great basis for home brew
magnetic loops. I'd guess it's easier for hobbyists to work with than 100%
aluminum tubing.

Andrew Ikin of Wellbrook Communications, known for extensive R&D of his
antennas, published a short paper a while back which pointed out a problem
of loop-amplifier mismatch with mobius strip loops:
https://www.wellbrook.uk.com/loopantennas/pdf/ComparisonoftheMobiusLoop.pdf
I know he is not a fan of this design, despite Dr. Baum/Chris Trask's
investigations. The mobius strip approach is found in Pixel Technologies's
competing RF-PRO1A loop. (Current version is the $499.99  RF-PRO-1B
<https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rf-pro-1b>, sold by DX
Engineering.)

73,

Guy Atkins