From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Guy Atkins <dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:59 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] New Grayland SDR WAV Files

Hi Ken,

Good question! I forgot to mention that my HF+ SDRs have the "R3 bypass
mod" as well as latest firmware installed. The designers of the HF+
expected hobbyists and experimenters to configure and modify the antenna
input characteristics, so they made it easy with a larger SMD chip
capacitor in-line to the HF antenna input. (Despite being called R3 it is
actually a resistor.) Changing or bypassing this part affects the impedance
curve of the radio, if I remember right.

Initially thought to only help out long wave, it actually gives a decent
boost to medium wave sensitivity too, all the way up to 15 MHz per some
reports. Top DXer Bjarne Mjelde, among others, has confirmed the R3 bypass
improvements-- see his review of the HF+ here:
https://app.box.com/s/d2dni57dzrsxgs38gxbbfz9gm26brqpk

The last few firmware updates resulted in even better RF overload
performance on the HF+, and this on a radio which was already receiving
accolades for excellent strong signal handling.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA