Re: [IRCA] Craig Barnes' 3.5 inch Baby FSL Rocks at Rockwork

Gary, you described the effort very well. Seattle DXer Chuck Hutton and
Andy Ikin (Wellbrook Communications) were also involved in the discussion
on how to successfully make an FSL broadband in reception.

I thought I had success with a FLG100 module as an interface when the combo
provided weak audio on 738 kHz Tahiti (when they were still on the air)
from suburban Puyallup, WA. Later tests right at the coast however showed
the supposed "broadband" FSL to be a very mediocre performer. My guess is
that Tahiti was propagating extra well that night into Puyallup, enabling
reception even on the altered FSL antenna. (This arrangement had the wire
ends of the FSL coil directly attached to the input of the Wellbrook
FLG100, no variable capacitor used).

I'm sure it would be much easier to achieve good, *single-frequency*
reception with a FSL antenna and SDR radio (or other 50-ohms receiver for
that matter). There are different approaches to coupling coils and
impedance matching on the web--check out this link for instance:
https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/frank_radio_antenna_magloop.htm
This wouldn't be much different than coupling coils for air core box loops,
feeding a receiver. After the discouragement with the broadband efforts I
didn't pursue single frequency FSL reception.

Also, Everett Sharp tried coupling coils with FSLs. If I remember
correctly, he posted in the Ultralight Radio group that he had gotten best
performance with a 64:1 ratio of transformer between the coupling coil and
50-ohms antenna input.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA