Re: [IRCA] IBOC/analog reception comparisons.

--- David Gleason <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Put a frame around those comments! Very nicely stated, Russ.
>
> Perception is reality, or why would people prefer the ultra
> compressed audio
> on an iPod to CDs and FM?  It's because it's an iPod and it's
> digital!

*** And what we have here then is a difference between your perception
and mine of what that really means.  Once again reducing it to
classical advertising concepts, you seem to be viewing this thing in
the context of how many potential listeners can the industry get to
give it a try, whereas I'm looking at it in terms of how many of them
they may keep.

If ( and having had no opportunity to hear it firsthand, I have to say
'if' ) there is a sufficiently-noticeable quality improvement, and
again if the coverage is at least roughly equal to the same stations in
analog, then I strongly submit that it will also be necessary to do
something to make the content more attractive.

And since we agree that the probability of HD making major turnarounds
on AM are small, the practical discussion actually comes down to FM vs.
satellite. And since satellite audio is also not better than analog FM,
it is then a combination of whatever coolness satellite radio has,
coupled with content, coupled with extended geogrpahic range which is
what's driving satellite.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]