From: "Michael Yule" <michaeldyule@xxxxxxxxx>
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 8:07:41 AM
Subject: [IRCA] Greetings from Florence

Hi everyone - as some of you saw about 4 months ago, my wife and I moved
to Florence Italy, which explains the complete absence of loggings from
me ever since. We spent the first 3 months in a tourist apartment while
we looked for a permanent home, and we found one and moved in thereat
the beginning of November. Now we are getting settled, and have some
furniture etc I have been assessing DX possibilities from this location
and will be unpacking the ELAD and trying to get a sense of RFI levels.
We live on the third floor of a 4 floor 15th century palazzo in the
Oltrarno district (the 'left bank' of the Arno, so to speak) so I
shouldnt really have to contend too much with rebar faraday cages, but I
do look into an interior courtyard on the balcony, with no real clear
view outward - one story of the building completely surrounds my
location, about 25 metres away. The balcony is the full length of the
apartment, but is very narrow.

It is quite likely that I will find a fair degree of RFI once I get
things set up, and that I will want to go out on mini-dxpeditions into
the Tuscan countryside (which starts about a 20 minute bus ride away),
so I am thinking I will want to do as portable a setup as I can. So this
is leading me to believe that what I should do is build (or buy, if
possible!) a broadband FSL and be sort of a mini-European Gary DeBock.
This will give me the portability I want, and also make it so I dont
have to try and erect an antenna either inside (at which thought I
shudder, having just come from the realm of the fantastic DKAZ...) or
navigate any potential problems with neighbours or the buildings owner
when trying to erect one outside on or around the balcony. Just as an
aside, the place I live was, as I say, built in the 15th century by the
Frescobaldi family and it is still owned by them, the current Marchese
(Marquis) living on the floor above me.

So the next steps are going to be to review all the literature on FSL
construction, decide how big I want to go, and start assembling
materials. I dont know if Guy Atkins ever published anything on making
the FSL broadband, but if he did could someone send me a link? And if
anyone has one for sale, please let me know as well!

Thanks very much everyone, I'll let you know as things progress. I might
be able to help a bit on TA identification once I get going since I will
be closer to the source as well!

Kind regards,

Michael Yule
Firenze, Italia