Re: [IRCA] Happy 10 Year Annivarsary of Organized ULR DXingââââ.

Hi Rob,

<<< Yes, Gary is the only Captain the "Canadian Ultralight DX Team" has ever had!! His early efforts, along with John's earned him that Designation. If John were still here he would be a Co-Captain!! I hope you still wear that Hat with pride Gary!! >>>

Yes, I still have both the Team Canada ball cap and the red and black Team Canada shirt that I received in 2008 from London, Ontario-- and I still wear them with pride (especially when I think about you, Allen, Colin, Saul, and many others who helped us get off the ground)!

<<< Man, hard to believe it's been 10 years nowââ..but when I look in the Mirror, I can better grasp it!! HAHHAHAHAâ..
Although I have wandered off into the Wasteland of SDRs and Wellbrook Loops, I still have a great affection for ULR DXingââLittle Radios Rule!! >>>

No problem, Rob-- I've even depended on SDR-DXers to provide some DU-DX parallels on occasion during Rockwork 4 DXpeditions-- so maybe we both need to apologize?

<<< Yes, GaryâI'm sure you and I are totally responsible for jacking up the Prices on the SONY T-615 ULRsââ..You say you bought 3, and I still have 4 of them. 2 of mine are almost worn out from many hours of use, but I still have 2 NEW in the BOX Models which I kept as backups should the other two ever kick the bucket!! >>>

Well, Rob, the Sony SRF-T615 has a little more history than what most Ultralight DXers realize. A strange but true story from early 2008 is that when Ultralight DXers were being accused of "hijacking" the IRCA list, John Bryant was persuaded to ask us to move off into our own Yahoo group. At the time (early January) he was a staunch traditionalist, probably thinking that wild pocket radio fanatics like us were a little nuts. I offered to send him a new SRF-T615 as a gift-- if he would only keep an open mind about Ultralight DXing, and give the tiny radio a try. To his credit he did just that-- and became totally hooked!! Within a couple of weeks he was not only setting up the new Yahoo group, but using his superb organizational skills to make sure it was a great success. Almost overnight, he changed from an Ultralight radio skeptic into a raging fanatic-- mostly because of his experience with the gift SFR-T615.

<<< Allen continues to lead the pack out there on the East Coast, and has proven there are No Limitations as to what can be heard, given the right conditions and an Ideal Location! They should run a Longwire between Newfoundland and Oregonâ.so you guys can exchange receptions with each other!!! That's about the only thing you haven't done! >>>

Yes, Allen has been phenomenally successful with Ultralight DXing in Newfoundland, and a true leader in the entire TA-DXing community. John B. and I knew that he would be such a tremendous asset to the Ultralight group-- which was why we gave up two first round draft choices to recruit him! I've always thought of myself as the #2 transoceanic DXer in the Ultralight community-- needing to try harder (like Hertz and Avis) by going out on wild ocean cliffs to track down something special. Maybe someday Allen and I can have a joint DXpedition-- if the Monster FSL's don't sink the boat on the way to Newfoundland.

<<< Soâ..Congratulations to the ULTRALIGHT DX group on it's 10th Anniversaryâ..and to all the DXers who had a role in getting it off the ground, and to all the Dxers who have had FUN with ULRs ever since!! >>>

Yes, congratulations, Rob-- you are one of the most deserving celebrants!!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, somewhere south of BC)

[...]

73â.ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA