[IRCA] MW loggings from Masset BC Sept 6 - 10, 2017

Taking advantage of our Thanksgiving long weekend, I managed to bring my
two Perseus SDR receivers, along with an AOR 7030+ receiver to Masset, to
enjoy near-equinoxial reception.  As always, Iâm blown away by the
exceptionally low noise floor, and the enhancement offered by my location
on the ocean shore.  This time, I initially erected my usual West directed
BOG, of about 750â in length, the permanent ALA 100 large diameter aimed
NE/SW, and a SW directed DKAZ.  After a several days, I added my permanent
due north mini-Beverage (about 450â).  Conditions were very nice to Asia,
but unfortunately, I think I missed the DU action.  The first morning
wasnât bad, but perhaps the tail-end of any action, and I think that
disturbed conditions are on their way, so DU enhancement would likely to
have occurred over the next few days!  With the sun so quiet, TA activity
was hoped for, but the one day that I should have had the North Beverage,
it wasnât up, and hoping for the next evening resulted in nothing!  There
was signs of life, for sure from Europe, but none of the âarmchair copyâ
stuff.  Receivers used were 2 Perseus SDRs, and an AOR 7030+.  As always, I
have lots of TOH and BOH (and some in-between) Perseus wav files available
up to 16:00 UTC and beyond.  Enjoy!  Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC.

PS:  As always, any errors are my own, so please send corrections to me!

531 RUSSIA Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk 5 kW Avtoradio Sakhalin, Oct 9 1451 - I can
confirm that this Russian station is still on the air.  Heard this morning
cochannel to NHK 1 with pop music, including, 'Another one bites the
dust'.  The tell tale rapid tones after some songs is characteristic for
this station.  Not strong. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

603 JAPAN NHK1  5 kW JOOG or JOKK, Oct 9 1505 - Normally HLSA totally
dominates this frequency, but this morning, an excellent Asian opening
easilly reveals the NHK 1 network cochannel.  2 5 kW senders are listed,
with the most likely being JOOG from Obihiro, Hokkaido (the othr being from
Okayama, JOKK, in southern Honshu).  It's such a pleasure to listen to TPs
at armchair level, frequency after frequency!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

657 NORTH KOREA Kangnam 1500 kW Pyongyang Bangsong, Oct 7 1504 -
Immediately obvious that this strong station was from North Korea with
their usual fervent choir vocals.  Cochannel audible as well includes KBS 1
from the south (HLKM from Chuncheon) with 50 kW.  Sometimes it almost
dominates the channel.  Lots of splatter from KENI in Anchorage on 650.
Rechecking at 15:09, it's all Pyongyang at very good level, and almost
enjoyable to listen to as background music!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

711 VIETNAM Can Tho 500 kW Voice of Vietnam 1st Program, Oct 6 1523 -
Normally, KBS1 dominates this channel entirely, but at this moment, I was
hearing a good signal with a female speaking Vietnamese, although within a
minute or two, she faded down being replaced with Korea. (Salmaniw,Masset,
BC)

747 JAPAN Sapporo 500 kW JOIB and an Unid, Oct 9 1608 - Signed off early
this morning (I had expected 16:00), but instead, the network signed off at
15:00, leaving the frequency open for others. Same for the next day (10
Oct):  off at 15:00.  Another interesting channel was 1512.  From tuning in
at 14:56, I could hear an English, south Asian accented speaker.  No ABC
fanfare at the TOH, so I wonder who this might be.  The monologue went on
for at least the next 15 minutes or so.  Wonder who they might be?.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

747 SOUTH KOREA Bia 100 kW  KBS 1 HLKH, Oct 6 1526 - The Koreans are doing
fairly well this morning.  I can clearly hear KBS 1 (// to 711) with a
western female vocal, cochannel to super powerful 500 kW JOIB Sapporo.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

810 NORTH KOREA Kaesong 50 kW KCBS, Oct 7 1434 - Good reception mostly on
this jumbled channel.  Het present due to off channel jammer from the
south.  No sign of AFN at time of check, nor of domestics, but by 14:40,
hearing typical AFN music programming.  Nominal channel is on frequency,
which when checking at 14:40 must be AFN.  Jammer is present, and sounds
like they're on low side at 809.857.  Not so fast on the AFN.  At 14:42,
Chinese speaker started to dominate, and then into a Chinese ballad.  Other
signals measured on 810.013 and 810.044.  As I listen, the jammer is
definitely on the low side, as it fades up and down, and is easy to see on
the waterfall. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

907 RUSSIA Ust-Bolsherelsk UB, Oct 9 1427 - Well I'll be darned!  I've
rarely, if ever snagged an aviation beacon from Russia before, but this
morning I did.  While band scanning, I noticed a weak carrier on 907.
While trying to demodulate it (it seemed like an OC only, suddenly I began
hearing CW, and sure enough, 'UT':  dot dot dah, dah.  Heard both in AM and
when tuned LSB.  This place is located on the Kamchatka Peninsula.  I'm
pleased!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

972 SOUTH KOREA Dangjin 750/1500 kW HLCA, Oct 10 1434 - Incredibly strong
with S9+40 on the meter (I snapped a screen capture for this one).  Can it
be any more armchair than this?  Wow!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

999 JAPAN NHK 1 at 0.1 and 1 kW JODP, Oct 9 1519 - Often a difficult
channel, but this morning I can clearly hear NHK 1 with so many parallels.
It's interesting that the NHK 1 stations list only 0.1 or 1 kW, so a real
graveyard channel.  6 translators are listed as well as call sign for one,
JODP in Onomichi, Hiroshima prefecture.  There's a good Japanese opening
for sure today!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

999 PHILIPPINES Cebu 10 kW DYSS, Oct 6 1453 - Almost certainly them, often
fading up to very good levels, with very rapid, presumed Filipino banter.
A few English words thrown in.  Confirmed at 14:59 with call letters 'D Y
double S',and Super Radyo, followed by a very fervent vocal rendition of
the national anthem. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1017 TONGA Nuku'alofa 10 kW Tongan BC Commission, Oct 6 0858 - Checking my
overnight recordings, Radio Tonga begins to appear about 08:00 UTC.  An
hour later, the audio is low, but present.  Same for 1098, but
surprisingly, for me, at least, is the X-band which was present during my
09:00 Perseus recording.  1701 is well heard, besides the 1700 splatter,
with call of the Quran.  Surprisingly strong at times!  Other X-banders in
as well. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1062 SOUTH KOREA Cheongju 50 kW HLKQ, Oct 9 1526 - I was hoping for the
Philippines, but no luck.  Rousing vocal, 'I did it my way', but quickly
found 711 in parallel, so this is the KBS 1 network.  Very good level.  I
can hear one or two other stations cochannel, which is common in Masset
when conditions are good. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1071 JAPAN Hiroshima 20 kW JOFK, Oct 9 1529 - Super powerful NHK 1, even
better than the // main JOAK with 300 kW out of Tokyo.  Interesting,
though, that within a minute, the other Japanese station faded up to
dominate, and that's JOWM from Obihiro on Hokkaido with 5 kW (and // to
1440).  Not many frequencies host 2 different Japanese networks on the same
channel. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1098 JAPAN Kitahiyama JOFN, Oct 9 1540 - Interesting frequency.  It's rare
to hear echos from Japanese networks (not sure whether I've ever heard an
echo, which are very common with Chinese stations).  I'm assuming the
overnight service is run on this Hokkaido station.  There are 7 other low
power stations listed on the same frequency at 0.1, 1 and 5 kW.  The most
recent PAL does not list a power for JOFN. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1098 UNID unid, Oct 7 1450 - An interesting channel.  In Victoria, this
normally only yields a loud OC, but here in Masset it's most interesting
with strong at times Oriental speaker.  I'm not exactly sure who it is, but
it's not Chinese, nor Japanese, and I don't think Korean, either.  Who
then?  No time pips at 15:00.  Musical interludes sure sound Chinese.  My
guess is that this is CBS Taiwan. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1161 TAIWAN unid, Oct 9 1600 - Tentatively Taiwan, with a Christmas carol
(God Rest you Merry Gentlemen) before the TOH.  Didn't sound Mandarin at
all, so I wonder about Amoy, which could make it BCC Country Network in
Taiwan, with 2 transmitters of 10 kW listed.  Excellent reception.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1215 UK Absolute Radio, Oct 8 0455 - Looks like a modest TA opening
tonight.  Fair to good reception using the NW directed ALA 100 tonight (my
N directed mini-Beverage is off-line on this trip).  Carriers noted as well
on:  639, 684, 837, 855, 954, 963, 981, 999, 1008, 1026 (weak audio Spain),
1053 (weak audio:  UK), 1089 (weak audio UK?), 1107 (weak audio Spain),
1116 (weak audio Spain), 1125, 1152, 1161, 1179, 1224, 1287, 1296, 1341,
1422, 1458, 1485 (near audio ? Spain), 1566, 1575 (close to audio),  On LW,
weak audio from Iceland on 189,. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1215 UK Absolute Radio, Oct 10 0309 - Signs of life tonight for TPs.  Last
night was a total bust, but today, I'm seeing some signs of life during the
last few minutes.  Strong carrier, and mumbly audio so far.  Carriers
tonight so far:  819, 828, 855, 954, 999, 1026 (threshold audio), 1053
(threshold audio), 1071, 1089 (threshold), 1107, 1116, 1161, 1179 (strong
carrier), 1251 (strong carrier), 1305, 1314, 1368, 1386, 1422, 1458 (strong
carrier), 1485 (strong carrier), 1494, 1503, 1539, 1557, 1566 (threshold
audio), 1575 (weak audio), 1584 (threshold audio), and 1593.  All using my
North mini-Beverage (about 450'), terminated into the ocean on the north
end.  Let's see if anything further develops, as the vast majority are
simply carriers now. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1287 JAPAN Sapporo 50 kW JOHR, Oct 6 1200 - Having fun listening to my
overnight Perseus files, and I came across a US style jingle in English for
HBC lasting about a minute, before returning to Japanese programming.  An
interesting double take!  'It's the 70s, 80s, 90's and more!  Super hits,
and favourites, now and forever. HBC Radio.  Music delivery. The time now
8:00 PM'. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1314 PHILIPPINES Paranaque NCR 30 kW DWXI, Oct 6 1403 - Almost certainly
the Filipino with typical Filipino style, briefly, but then within a minute
was buried by the usual JOUF, Radio Osaka with, what I'd describe as silly
programming by what sounds like pre-pubescent girls. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1539 AUSTRALIA Adelaide South Australia 5 kW Radio Tab, Oct 6 1447 - Good
reception with horse racing information.  Well over cochannels, especially
when using my SW DKAZ. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1566 CHINA Jilin 25 kW Yanbian RGD, Oct 6 1352 - Almost certainly them
cochannel to the usual super powerful HLAZ, both in Mandarin.  At times
HLAZ fades down allowing the other Chinese speaker to be heard.  Not often
heard, as 1566 is usually owned by HLAZ.  I see 3 transmitters on the
waterfall:  1566.000 is strongest, followed by 1566.034 and 1565.996.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1566 SOUTH KOREA Jeju 250 kW HLAZ, Oct 6 1900 - One of the things I enjoy
doing while in Masset is to record until I lose a signal, many hours after
sunset, so I set the recorder to 1566 before going out to other
activities.  It's not often I hear a legal ID for HLAZ, but there it was at
19:00 today at good level.  19:00 equates to noon in Masset.  Not bad, as
our LSR was about 14:58 UTC today.  I'm blessed with an excellent water
path to Asia from Masset!  Language listed in PAL at this time is Korean.
Listening further, they were pretty much gone by 19:30 today.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1602 JAPAN multiple sites NHK 2, Oct 8 1520 - 2nd network of NHK confirmed
signing off at 15:20 on UTC Sunday.  Very good reception this morning.
Stations and translators here number 26, with powers varying from 0.1 to 1
kW.  For fun, I listened to each of the 23 MW frequencies, and I could hear
the sign-off on each and every frequency!  Once you've heard it once,
you'll never forget the very long sign-off from NHK2!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1638 AUSTRALIA 2ME multiple sites 2ME, Oct 6 1500 - I see at least 3
transmitters on my waterfall measuring:1637.908, 1637.939 and 1637.992.  At
15:00 there are time pips, and into Arabic news. All cochannel, so the
result is for a fair bit of distortion, but they are in parallel for sure.
Good reception at times.  4 sites listed in Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne and
Sydney, all with 400 watts. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1656 AUSTRALIA unid, Oct 6 1435 - Sure sounding like Arabic music, so not
Vision Network, or Voice of the Australian Chinese.  Still most likely
Radio Rhythm in Melbourne with Hindi programming, rather than 2ME Perth
(Arabic).  All listed with 400 watts.   Fair to good, but with a lot of
static crashes!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1860 USA WA0RCR   ND World of Radio, Oct 8 0321 - I can just make out Glenn
Hauser's voice tonight, with World of Radio.  To be honest, I rarely listen
to it on SW anymore.  A real shame, but with immediate download available
on the internet, there's not much point, except when I'm off grid, as is
the case in Masset.  Radio becomes a real life-line!  In the deep of
winter, I can usually hear WA0RCR quite well into Masset.  Not so in the
Fall. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)