[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 26-27, 2017

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire. FRG-7 is no longer in use.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page61
[over 239,000 views! as of August 27, 2017]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA [if any], unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** U S A. 740, Aug 26 at 0559 UT, ``Radio 740 KTRH``, mixing with KRMG Tulsa, slow SAH vs music, no doubt CFZM. To hear KTRH it`s more necessary to null CFZM than KRMG! KTRH should have been a class 1-A 50 kW nondirexional day and night station, but as a late-comer, had to protect San Francisco, Tulsa, even Toronto. This surely makes Houston the largest city in the USA with no such station providing near-nationwide coverage. I doubt if it`s on ND antenna even now, poor signal here. Switching to day pattern instead of night wouldn`t really make much difference, both direxional to SW. Would it still be easy for such a station to flip a switch and go non-direxional which it normally never does? At 0603 UT, KTRH with EAS tones and tornado warning for Galveston County. {a sesquiday later it was reported that there had been 99! Tornado warnings caused by Harvey.}

BTW, circa 1530 UT Aug 27, CNN reported that CBS affiliate KHOU-TV ``11`` Houston was off the air, showing studios flooded! So is the transmitter site also flooded; or powerless? Via Mike Terry:
http://www.khou.com/weather/flood-water-seeps-into-houston-news-studio-during-live-broadcast/468095916
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, UT Sun Aug 27 at 0421 UT, surprised to hear Jim Bohannon on KRVN, topic ``Spoil Your Dog Day``. It`s a M-F show only, which KRVN has been carrying after local midnight. Finding a plain old program schedule on busy website http://krvn.com remains impossible; not even by searching it on ``Jimbo`` or ``Bohannon`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, Sat Aug 26 at 0521 UT, WOAI is the only significant TX station audible with Hurricane Harvey coverage ---- and it`s mostly coming from The Weather Channel! cable TV station, but not synchronized. Finally at 0544 UT I time the delay of 95 seconds compared to what we are getting via Suddenlink cable in Enid. WOAI does break in with local coverage and still a heavy commercial load thanks to all those intervals provided by TWC.

Yet seems odd for reporter to keep referring to what we can *see* which is very difficult on an AM radio station! Such as next WOAI listen, UT Sun Aug 27 at 0423 UT, report from Buffalo Bayou, tornado warning in Harris County ``on your screen``. No, it isn`t!! BTW, nothing special from WWL, yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Random nighttime Aug 26-27 chex for 1030 KCTA Corpus Christi turn up nothing --- they have a 50 kW non-direxional transmitter daytime+ only, and have been known to run it illegally into the night, but now that they could do it legally and necessarily in an emergency, none of it! Of course, being a gospel huxter, KCTA no doubt lacks any local news department, let alone weather as they don`t care what is going on in the real world.

Rather, 1030 is dominated by XEYC R. FÃrmula charlanoticias en JuÃrez --- I just notice altho WRTH 2017 has it among other 1030 stations, the frequency shown for it is ``1400``, where it was years before?! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Aug 26 at 0551 UT, Catholic talk in English from NE/SW, in fact sounds like Mother Angelica --- yes, // but out of synch, about 2 seconds *ahead* of her own 11520 WEWN, into music. So this is KEXS, Excelsior Springs MO (Kansas City), an 8 kW (application for 10 kW) DAYTIMER. Of course, God`s ETWN stations are not subject to Laws of Man! I see Rob Ross, Ont., has also logged KEXS at night. Tsk2, it overcomes KAAY Little Rock, a Brother Scare outlet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, circa 0430 UT Aug 27 altho I did not log it at the time, some gospel huxter in English musing that it`s God`s will for Texas to be flooded. (Right, because TX denies abortion rights??) Suspect KMAJ Topeka KS as it loops NE/SW, altho talk rather than religion format (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---