[IRCA] Fwd: [mwcircle] Pollution of the RF Spectrum

via Mike Terry, Medium Wave Circle

Southgate

A Radio World article highlights the growing RF pollution problem which is ruining peoples' enjoyment of radio .

Broadcast engineers are becoming more aware of the impact of environmental radio noise on reception. The recent efforts at ?AM improvement? have highlighted this challenge to AM stations, and evidence is growing that reception on FM and TV bands is being impaired as well.

The general public, however, is far less aware of our growing noise pollution issue. Listeners or viewers may not know why there is a reception problem; they just perceive the signal as ?weak? and may switch to a competitor. Broadcasters are hearing a common pattern in listener complaints: ?I used to get good reception, but not anymore?? I wrote about this in Radio World in a 2011 article ttitled ?Johnston Laments FM Noise.?

Other industries using RF wireless technologies report growing noise trouble as well. A recent IEEE Spectrum article was subtitled ?Electronic Noise Is Drowning Out the Internet of Things.? Designers of IoT devices are not getting the range they expect due to unexpectedly high background noise, it reported.

Read the full story at

http://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/0002/noise-inquiry-spurs-recommendations/339989

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC