Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Downeast Maine over Memorial Day

<<< The analogous spring / summer DXpedition activity out West is the Down Under / South Pacific Islands scene, as popularized by Gary DeBock's activities at the Rockworks coastal cliffs in Oregon.
Hanging up your headphones May to August is something a lot of DXers do but reports like yours Bill and, on the "left" coast, Gary's Aussies / Zedders feeding frenzies should indicate that DX is a year round hobby. >>>

Thanks for your comments, Mark, and let me add my congratulations to Bill for his outstanding African catches at Quoddy House.

Bill has also been a leader in summer Trans-Equatorial DX here on the left coast, with annual DKAZ setups at both Grayland and San Souci (near Florence, Oregon) every July. He has come away with some awesome Pacific Island DX recordings, and typically posts every DX recording for all to enjoy.

Beverage and DKAZ antenna setups are out of the question at Rockwork 4-- otherwise I'm sure that Bill would have joined one of our wild "Cliffhanger DXpedition" groups by now (and maybe come away with a slight Kiwi English accent) .

Gary

<<< Great report Bill and one that goes along with the recent zillions-of-Brazilians report from Allen Willie in NL.
I do believe that many of your catches are All Time New Ones at USA locations. Even in PEI, NS, and NL they wouldn't be daily logs.

As I've noted in previous years, mostly from DXing at sites in Orleans, MA and also at Granite Pier - Rockport, MA, spring can be a particularly good time for deeper Africa and Brazil. Most of the action is right around sunset, some aurora needs to be in the mix, and the DX doesn't go very far inland at all: much less penetration than typical autumn / winter European stations. Fortaleza, Brazil 760 was an S-9 regular on the pier in Rockport, MA but barely even moved the meter / cracked the noise floor 15 miles inland at Billerica, MA.

I really need to get back over to Orleans soon before T-storms become too frequent and widespread.

The analogous spring / summer DXpedition activity out West is the Down Under / South Pacific Islands scene, as popularized by Gary DeBock's activities at the Rockworks coastal cliffs in Oregon.

Hanging up your headphones May to August is something a lot of DXers do but reports like yours Bill and, on the "left" coast, Gary's Aussies / Zedders feeding frenzies should indicate that DX is a year round hobby.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA >>>