Re: [IRCA] Upcoming solar eclipse

The August 21 eclipse will hit the Oregon coast first, and we were lucky enough to book a room in the Lincoln City (OR) Liberty Inn at the regular room rate of $169/night before the motel jacked up the rates to $1000 per night that weekend (Lincoln City is in the path of totality). The motel tried to raise the rates on everybody up to $1000 for that period, but KGW-8 TV in Portland and the Oregon State Attorney General's office got involved, and the motel was eventually forced to honor the rates that they agreed to when the rooms were booked.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

----- Original Message -----

From: "Russ Edmunds" <wb2bjh@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:09:32 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Upcoming solar eclipse

For those of you with SDR's, and located along its path ( http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm) the solar eclipse over North American which is to occur on August 21 will present a most interesting possibility.

I remember DX'ing during a solar eclipse back in the 1970's, and I experienced stations on the path 'ahead' of me coming in as if it were SS/SR propagation.

Now, with SDR's, it will be possible to record the entire band for the duration of the eclipse, or at least for that portion where effects will be noticeable in any particular area.

Alas, many of us in the Northeast, Southwest and North Central US won't be close enough to the path to experience the full effects.

Russ Edmunds

WB2BJH

Blue Bell, PA

Grid FN20id