Re: [IRCA] April 2017 Kona DXpedition Loggings and MP3's (Conclusion)

Good catch, Chuck. I'm on the same planet as you, though my head is merely a balloon floating somewhere in the atmosphere. I misspoke on that point with the mindset that many Chinese stations have an extra time pip as compared to the Korean standard, but I took the 5+1 and subtracted 1 from it without thinking, when in fact, I should have taken the 4 and subtracted one for the correct 3+1. But really, they have 2 extra pips. I always knew it was a lot longer, but always thought it was just one extra!! So, you're correct. Most stations are 3+1, while some Chinese stations have that extra two and are 5+1. Actually, I never really counted in much detail but just listened to a lot of my audio and see some of the following examples, with plenty more where this came from:

In China:

*CNR-1 is 5+1.
*Zhejiang News R. is 5+1
*CBN Radio (1422 Shanghai) is 5+1
*Anhui Story Radio (1395) is a more unique 3 long + 1 short
*801 Yantai Private Car Radio has a single tone
*Shenyang News Radio is 5+1
*Shandong People's Radio (918, 1548) is 5+1
*Jiangsu Story Radio (1206) replaces time pips with a little rising tone similar to what you'd hear in an elevator or airplane *I oddly never recorded a TOH on 1206 Yanbian despite it being my 200kw local (perhaps I'll listen on the online stream) *... though 810 Voice of Zhejiang has a unique higher-pitched 2+1 time pip at their half-hour ID

In Taiwan:

*1557 RTI I Love Music is 3+1

In Korea:

*Pyongyang is 3+1
*KBS 1R is 3+1
*KBS 2R is 1 tone
*KBS 3R is 3+1
*KCBS is 3+1
*SBS Love is 1 tone
*FEBC Jeju is 3+1
*KBS Hanminjok 1R & 2R are 3+1
*Echo of Unification (1080 Haeju & 684 Kaesong, both defunct, now SW and FM only) is 1 tone at sign-on only

In Japan:.

*1242 Tokyo substitutes their time pips with a cuckoo clock.
* NHK-2 at sign-on is 3+1

Otherwise, Japan has no standard. It's all over the place and even hearing time pips is really rare for many stations.

I recorded 40 hours of AM audio from the region. I should know my time pips, but in all honesty, when you hear them every day, you don't really stop and think much about them.

-Chris Kadlec
Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide
http://www.beaglebass.com/dx/seoul/