[IRCA] Masset DXpedition loggings Jan 5 - 15th Part II

Apparently I broke the law with going over the 35 kb limit in my reporting
from Masset.  May I ask how one can know when they approach or go over 35
kB???   Anyway, I'll repost in 2 more sections:

693 CHINA unid, Jan 13 1600 - Chinese language speaker, at good level with
FM frequencies being announced.  I wonder abut Shaanxi Weixing guangbo.
200 kW listed in Xianyang.  I'll need to double check. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

711 SOUTH KOREA Seoul 500 kW  KBS 1 HLKA, Jan 9 1454 - I'm feeling
nostalgic this morning with both NHK 1 and KBS 1 playing American oldies,
such as Moon River earlier, etc.  Asia appears to be wide open this
morning!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

729 VIETNAM Dong Hoi 200 kW Da Tieng noi Viet Nam (VoV 2), Jan 13 1559 -
Pretty certain this is who I heard around 15:50 UTC.  In the clear and
fairly strong with a language I strongly suspect is Vietnamese.  Gradually
faded and cochannels JOCK (Nagoya 50 kW with NHK 1 programming) and less
commonly Pyongyang Bangsong  in North Korea (Samo with 50 kW and //3250)
was also heard.  But according to PAL, they state that N Korea is no longer
on this frequency.   Unfortunately SW // was off the air from15:00 on
5925.   Rechecking around 16:05, there's an English lesson here.  That
might help with the ID.  Program seemed to have finished at 16:14 leaving
dead air.  Yes, that has to be them, as I note in PAL that, 'English
lessons have been noted at 1600 UTC'.  Should be quit certain, then!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

738 SOUTH KOREA Gyeongsan 100 kW KBS 1 HLKG, Jan 10 1712 - Very good
reception, with minor cochannel interference.  // to 711 and many other
channels on this very good morning to Korea. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

774 CHINA unid, Jan 13 1732 - Time pips at 17:30, then announcing FM
frequencies, but faded into cochannel music.  Pretty clearly heard, so will
post for expert opinion. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

819 NORTH KOREA Pyongyang 500 kW KCBS, Jan 7 1551 - Actually, for a change,
very enjoyable EZL music by a female vocalist.  Confirmed // to SW 2850.
Very good level, besides mild splatter from 820.  No sign of any jamming.
Also measures on exact frequency. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

819 NORTH KOREA Pyongyang 500 kW KCBS (Joson Jung-ang Pangsong), Jan 10
1704 - Superb reception with nice clean audio and a rather enjoyable Korean
chorus.  Minor splatter from 820.  Korea (and China) both came in very well
this morning. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

830 HAWAII Honolulu 10 kW KHVH, Jan 12 1623 - Good reception with traffic
issues in Honolulu.  TC earlier for 6:21 AM.  Faded replaced mostly with
KSDP, Sand Point AK.  Another ID at 16:25.  Newsradio KHVH.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

850 ALASKA Nome KICY, Jan 7 1134 - I recorded 850 overnight to see what I
could here.  Using a NW BOG.  Quite an amazing assortment.  What really
amazed me was how the ionosphere would change propagation.  At this time,
KICY was coming in very well in Russian, giving an email address and postal
address in St. Petersburg, Russia.  Before, and within about a minute, it
swung over to KHHO, Tacoma WA...almost 180 degree difference with overnight
Fox Sports Radio feed (FS1). Disappointing that they gave no legal IDs,
apart from earlier in the evening.  At other times, I also heard KOA from
Denver (earlier in the evening).  Overall, a fascinating exercise!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

850 ALASKA Nome 50 kW KICY, Jan 7 1650 - Very good reception with
inspirational music, then ID after the TOH.  A good Alaskan morning.
'Going to the Rock' at 17:03. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

910  CANADA Drumheller AB 50 kW CKDQ, Jan 7 1704 - Excellent reception with
a Ukrainian Christmas carol (what caught my attention!), and Christmas
wishes to those following the Julian calendar, and best wishes to a
particular lady by the DJ, and an attempt to give a Christmas greeting in
Ukrainian.  Not very successful at that!   Then back to C&W music.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

940 HAWAII Waipahu 10kW KKNE, Jan 11 1403 - Finally, a decent signal from
Hawaii and my all-time favourite Hawaiian, with Hawaiian music.  A pleasant
change from the abrasive talk radio (ESPN on KFIG Fresno).  Heard only on
the ALA 100 aimed NE/SW, and surprisingly not on the SW aimed DKAZ.  At
14:53, however, it's the DKAZ which is pulling in KKNE with ID, and 'All
Hawaiian, all of the time'.  Good reception, but faded within a minute or
two and now co-channel by the sports station.  Then again KKNE totally
dominates by 14:57.  I love the ionosphere!!!  KFIG returned for the TOH
and mentioned a legal ID, given as KFIG Fresno CA.  Also strong when they
fade in. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

940 HAWAII Waipahu, Oahu 10 kW KKNE, Jan 12 1611 - This is the best opening
to Hawaii so far on my trip by far.  Perhaps KKTN has not yet gone to day
power on 930, but it's not a big issue.  Minimal splatter.  Very strong.
I've noted a number of other Hawaiians during a quick band sweep, as well.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

972 CHINA unid, Jan 8 1720 - A Chinese speaker totally dominating the
channel.  HLCA was not even audible for a time, before coming back to about
equal strength.  PAL lists 3 stations, but 1 is only 1 kW, the other
(Harbin) is supposed to be off at 15:00, while the 3rd 100 kW station has
no programming details (Henan RGD, Zhengzhou).  Interesting!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

972 VIETNAM (TENT) Quang Ngai 10 kW Dai Tieng noi Viet Nam, Jan 8 1651 - A
highly tentative log.  Language sounds very much Vietnamese to me.
Cochannel to usually dominate HLCA, but sometimes rivaling in strength.
Another possibility is Indonesia.  I see a 50 kW RRI Programa 1 in
Surakarta listed.  I'm now leaning to this as the most likely.  I'll be
interested in hearing the TOH!  Also suffering from major splatter from 980
CKNW presumably just before the TOH (as usual!!!).  Whomever was on 972
faded down mostly by 17:00.  Darn!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1017 TONGA Tongatapu 10 kW A3Z Tongan BC Commission, Jan 13 0647 - When
tuned in at 6:43 UTC, almost armchair copy.  What a treat, but short
lived.  Fades to almost nothing, and then improves again to decent levels.
Modulation seemed better tonight.  Superior reception to 1098 so far.
Heard best by far on the SW DKAZ. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1017 TONGA Tongatapu 10 kW A3Z Tongan Broadcating Commission, Jan 10 0647 -
PAL lists the name as, 'Call of the Friendly Islands, Radio 1'.  Wonder
whether they still use this wonderful name?  It's needed in today's world.
In any case very nice reception at tune in.  A little undermodulated
compared to 1098 Majuro, but carrier seems every bit as strong!.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1035 CHINA Multiple transmitter sites CNR 1, Jan 9 1615 - I count 47 CNR 1
sites on my PAL.  Clearly they don't sync very well, as I'm hearing a
growl, and clearly out-of-sync transmitters.  Also a 1 kHz tone.  Not sure
where that comes from.  Otherwise good reception.  Low powers listed.
Mostly 10 kW senders, although several others at 1, 25 and 50 kW.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1098 MARSHALL ISLANDS Majuro 25 kW V7AB, Jan 12 0712 - Great reception
except for terrible splatter from a very powerful IBOC sation on 1090
(S9+40 signal).  Take them away, and it would be near armchair copy.  Did
fade to nothing for about 30 seconds, then back again.  'Lean on me' at
07:15. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1098 MARSHALL ISLANDS Majuro 25 kW V7AB, Jan 10 0541 - Surprisingly good
reception, besides 1100 splatter, presumably from KFAX San Francisco (which
itself is marred by IBOC splatter from 1090 kHz.  Syncs easily with my Auto
Sync on the Perseus making listening enjoyable.   EZL music when checked
again at 05:53.  Noticed that Tonga on 1017 was also coming in pretty
well.  At 06:00 seemed to be carrying Radio Australia news.  Seems like
stations are starting to fade in 1188 JOKP is coming in really well.  Again
besides the splatter, perfectly listenable.  Located in Hokkaido, so stands
to reason it would be first to fade in.  1098 is very nice at 06:20 with
islands music.   Love it!  Booming in at 06:43!   Armchair.  I'm picturing
Colin in Hawaii enjoying them right now on his lanai!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1098 MARSHALL ISLANDS Majuro 25 kW V7AB Radio Marshalls, Jan 13 0701 - ID
for BBCWS news.  Often at very good levels besides minor splatter.  BBC
news ID at 07:06, then back to local programming in presumed Marshallese.
Lower modulation, so I can't make out what is being said.  Music is better
modulated, and back to islands type music at 07:07:15.  At 07:13 recheck,
VERY strong S9 + 10 dominating the channel, and splatter is not too bad.
Still that lovely south seas music!  Continues to improve with S9 + 20
signal at times at 07:37 UTC.  Very nice!!!  I recorded overnight.  At
08:00, I'm pretty sure that the news is from ABC for the first minute, and
then over to the BBC?  Overnight, the signals were best until about 09:00,
and then began to fade, but not completedly.  At 11:17 sounded like a hymn,
or possible anthem?  Could not hear any further programming after 11:18, so
might have left the air (to dead air) from that point. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1098 PHILIPPINES Cagayan de Oro 5 kW DXCL Sonshine Radio, Jan 9 1624 - I'm
suspecting Sonshine Radio here.  Took me a while to figure out,but there's
a huge carrier, and several cochannels, all fairly weak.  Of course, it
must be the OC for V7AB.  So a tentative logging only.  Style is Filipino.
Multiple stations, however, making it difficult to figure things out.  I
see carriers on 1098.001 (the main OC), 1097.987, 1097.992, 1097.995, and
1097.997 in addition. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1116 AUSTRALIA Brisbane 17/6.3 kW 4BC, Jan 8 1730 - Fair reception at this
late hour with talk format.  Still best on my NW wire over the SW DKAZ.
Conditions have only now just started to fade after a very nice dawn
enhancement!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1170 ALASKA North Pole KJNP, Jan 7 0623 - One of my favourite local Alaskan
stations, with 'moccasin telegraph'   For example, 'your favourite wife' to
her trapper husband, etc.  Great reception at times, but occasionally
fading down to be replaced by lower 48 station(s). (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

1170 SOUTH KOREA Gimje 500 kW KBS Hanminjok Bangsong, Jan 9 1637 - Very
strong, and no sign of KJNP initially.  Parallel to heavily jammed 6015
SW.  Korean assumed. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)