Re: [IRCA] Upcoming Trip

----- Original Message -----

From: "C B via IRCA" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "C" <bevdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:51:02 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Upcoming Trip

<<< I am taking a trip next month by air that will involve a few days on the Oregon coast. I was thinking of taking a Wellbrook FLG100LN and a small quantity of wire to make a mini corner fed loop. Does anyone know the practical minimum for a portable loop? I seem to remember Nick Hall-Patch using an ALA 100 (I think) from a hotel room in Seaside at the IRCA Convention many years ago, which is what inspired the idea. Any insights would be welcome. I am hoping for something reasonably portable, so I don't think a DKAZ with associated telescoping poles would fit the bill. I also recollect that Chuck Hutton erected some temporary loops at the Rockworks site near Manzanita, I think. I wonder how large they were. >>>

Chuck's broadband antenna for our July 2014 Rockwork 4 DXpedition was " a 15â x 15â flag on a 252 degree (true north) axis with an 11 dB preamp feeding a Perseus receiver." With this relatively small antenna he managed to receive 87 New Zealand stations in 2 days-- far more than in any previous west coast DXpedition.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)