[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 30, 2016-January 5, 2017

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page54
[over 188,000 views as of Jan 5, 2017]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** NEWFOUNDLAND. 2749-USB, S7 Dec 30 at 0114 UT, YL in French mentioning TUC (UTC), marine weather. Starting at 0107 is VOK, Goose Bay, Labrador, via St. Anthony site at the northern tip of the island. However, the Canadian CG website says VOK operates only in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

On two occasions now - this morning (30th) is the second time - I heard two stations operating at the same time on 2749. Tune in today was at about 0810 UT, and at about 0750 UT the first time. They are both more or less equal strength and it's difficult to copy very much of what is being said. One is in French, and the other sounds to be English, and must surely be QRMing each other, unless the skip is different over there. I have some files somewhere and will look them out to see if I can discover why the two are on at the same time.

I can also regularly hear 2598 in this same time slot, and it's always in English. Unfortunately there is a Stanag transmission just on the high side of frequency that makes copy difficult. There must be a significant difference in the propagation of these 2 MHz frequencies and propagation on medium waves. Well known Newfoundlanders on such as 590, 600, 750 and 1400 were all inaudible as was Sydney (NS) on 1140. 73 and Best wishes for 2017 --- hopefully with better propagation! (Noel Green, Blackpool, England, Dec 30, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Per the schedule in DXLD 16-43,
0740 2749 VCO Sydney Port Caledonia NS 46 11 14 -59 53 59
0810 2749 VCS Halifax Sambro NS        44 28 21 -63 37 13
Perhaps VCO ran overtime into VCS slot (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA. UNIDENTIFIED. 1450, Dec 31 at 0251 UT as I tune past, slightly and momentarily atop the pileup mentions KOCO weather, high 48(?). Which means it`s an Oklahoma station not too far from OKC, whence ``channel 5`` (7) supplies the forecasts, so most likely KGFF Shawnee, but also possibly KSIW Woodward, unlikely KWHW Altus (ex-harmonicizer circa 2900v). I look around http://www.kgff.com for a connexion to KOCO without finding any, nor on their active FB. But that`s not unusual for such deals to be uncredited.

We are informed in fine print at the bottom that ``KGFF Radio is a broadcast service of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation``, one of the lesser tribes, so does KGFF do any native programming? You`d never know it from their website with hardly any program info except `Mike in the Morning`. There is an unlabeled gallery of fairly old/deceased pop stars. NRC AM Log shows format as OLD from Westwood One. I try to Listen Live around 0500 UT, but from Surfer Network get an Access Denied, streaming unavailable due to content. KGFF is barely audible on 1450 daytime groundwave mixing with KSIW (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Dec 30 at 0150 UT, country gospel songs in English are mixing with Spanish religious talk from Denver, and sports talk in English from Cedar Falls. At 0156 UT I would qualify it as praise gospel rock, certainly implying I am really hearing KFSW Sallisaw, which is much more of a challenge than the other 1650s (except XEARZ). But no ToH ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

============

** U S A. 1010, Jan 2 at 0557 UT, EOE plug for My Hometown Media, then ESPN, fade for ID but presumably KTNZ Amarillo TX, the usual occupant. Searching on My Hometown Media, it`s hard to pin on Amarillo, however. There is such a radio group in Cherokee Village AR, three FMs, but no connexion to AM and there is no 1010 anywhere in Arkansas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Dec 30 at 0138 UT, Spanish religious talk and hymn, steadily audible with semi-local KOKP Perry OK nulled, even tho far from sideways. 0159 UT timecheck for ``9 de la noche en Nueva York`` and at 0201 UT, ``temperatura de 40 grados Fahrenheit``. No greater service can RadiovisiÃn Cristiana, WWRV, 1330, NYC, render to the denizens of Roswell than via KCKN keep them informed about time and temp in La Gran Manzana. But then Roswell is allegedly infested by aliens. Nothing further needed to make this a definite ID. Sure sounds like more than the 1 kW STA recently revealed by the FCC to NRC; maybe they`ve got the 50 kW back in service, so they can resume ignoring the requirement to protect Pittsburgh {and incidentally, Perry} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060.02, Dec 30 at 0141 UT, Spanish interview with a singer, mentions a .ca address, but this is not Calgary, ha ha. Sings ``gracias, Cristo``, etc. At 0153 UT, jingle ``alabanza y adoraciÃn, KIJN`` as this Farwell TX 10 kW daytimer unabashedly IDs at night on its signature off-frequency causing fast SAHs with anything else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1180, Jan 2 at 2122 UT on caradio, rosary in Spanish, so skywave is already in from 25 kW KLPF Midland TX, Guadalupe net, making 2.2 Hz SAH with algo, probably Omaha KZOT The Deuce (not Duece) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1460, Dec 30 at 0147 UT, two guys conversing in Spanish about pollos. Maybe the chickens are a team as these are surely the bozos on KBZO Lubbock TX with ESPN Deportes (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, Jan 1 at 1345 UT, ID in passing sounds like KLAV, religion. Closest fuzzy match, very likely is KLNG, Council Bluffs IA. 10 kW daytimer. 1345 UT is its official sunrise in January, but it also has a Critical-Hours power of 2.1 kW, which should keep it down to there until 1545 UT, both non-direxional (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1250.7, Jan 4 at 0140 UT, JBA het here from off-frequency carrier. I search my inbox and get one hit on the number,  from 12+ years ago on the NRC-AM list!

``Station on 1250.7, Sunday, November 14, 2004 11:56 PM --- I am listening to a station on 1250.7 (yes it is off freq). A man is talking about economic problems in Montgomery City and County (Bill Harms, Elkridge, MD`` Later:

``I just IDed it as WAPZ Alabama. Here is the clip [no longer available].
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/billqsl/sounds/20041114-1900e-wapz-1250.7.mp3
They were indeed off frequency at 1250.7. Notice on the clip there is no co-channel interference, only side-channel slop. The het is gone now at 1915 [EST?], and I am listening to 1250 which sounds like a mess. Bill Harms, Elkridge, Maryland``

There are now two 1250s in AL. WRBZ is the one ex-WAPZ as of 3/15/11, from Wetumpka, 5000/80 watts U1, indeed not far from Montgomery. (BTW in OK we have a Wetumka (without the P), east of Seminole, both probably deriving from the same tribe, pre- and post-Trail of Tears) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1590, Dec 31 at 0247 UT, S Asian music is slightly above the pileup and hard to DF, but seems to peak NNW/SSE rather than NE/SW, i.e. KMIC Houston TX (no more Aleluya), rather that WCGO Evanston IL (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---