Re: [IRCA] #2000 logged from Michigan

Tim,

Good going.  Congratulations.

Steve

On 12/28/16 9:32 AM, Tim Tromp wrote:
I had hopes of hitting #2000 before the year ended, and that goal was
accomplished yesterday afternoon when a faint 1490 KLGR was heard.  I don't
count call changes and all logs between 530-1710 kHz have been from my same
suburban west Michigan location.

I started my logbook in 2009 with a "barefoot" DX-440 that was good for a
few hundred stations, but I wanted more!  Enter the Quantum Loop, which
worked wonderfully with the DX-440, and netted me a few hundred more
stations including my first Trans-Atlantic station (1134 Croatia) and
several more TAs to follow, most of which are now history.  Still wanting
more, but reaching the limit of the Q Loop, I knew it was time to go
bigger.  I bought a 500 FT spool of wire and laid it on the ground in a
straight line, connected it to the DX-440, and started logging a whole new
mix of more distant stations.  I learned more about BOGs and discovered how
Neil Kazaross was phasing two of them and soon went back to DX Tools and
purchased a Quantum Phaser to try it for myself.

It didn't take long to hit #1000 with this setup.  At this point I'm
pushing the DX-440 to its limit, so I decided to try SDR and eventually
opted for the Perseus which I still use today.  A reversible D-KAZ loop was
also added to the mix a few years ago.

Some obligatory stats since starting this adventure in 2009: 47 states
heard with AK, HI & DE still needed (keep dreaming).  Most distant catch:
702 2BL Sydney @ 9,345 miles/15,039 km.  Nearest unheard: WBCH @ just 59
miles!  169 graveyarders and 37 countries heard on MW.  Recordings of some
of my more interesting catches are posted to YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/kilokat7

Happy New Year & Good DX,
Tim Tromp
West Michigan