Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 00:28:31 +0000 (UTC)
From: d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 12-20

Hi Chris,

<<< I know from my own extensive experience that jammers change their sound over
long distances (from my own words, as a matter of fact), but it doesn't
sound like the 1566 laser jammer. The sound is too... smooth, and the
pattern is too consistent and spread apart for it. It would be less
consistent as it tries to break through typical audio, as you can hear in
the clip below. But then again, I didn't hear any of your audio outside this
clip, so it's hard to truly judge, and I don't know what the jammer would
sound like overseas where it would obviously be mixing with Jeju's
directional signal. I just feel it would be a hard time justifying this one as the jammer, in my opinion anyway, from someone who used to hear this pain
in the ass every night. >>>

The 1566 pulse-type jammer was first noticed here in September, although back then it had a simple, buzzing bee-sounding pulse very two seconds. An MP3 of that jammer signal on HLAZ's Japanese service at 1254 UTC on September 24, 2016 is at the following link

https://app.box.com/s/gm78l03yw105533ewwaocf42qzur08l9

That MP3 was forwarded to the Real DX Yahoo group, where Mauno Ritola submitted it to Asian experts for investigation. They concluded that the Jammer was from North Korea, based on its similarity to the 1467-Mokpo Jammer.

The 1566- N.K. Jammer has been augmenting its jam signal since then, however. In addition to the buzzing bee pulse every two seconds, in October it added a pulsing tone of about 2 kHz every two seconds, in cycles in between the buzzing bee pulse. The 2 kHz pulsing tone now seems to be the primary noisemaker, although the buzzing bee tone can still be heard in between the 2 kHz tones when the Jammer is strong. This is the current 1566-Jammer signal, as recorded at 1315 on November 26th

https://app.box.com/s/gg15dn3r7k30hl9kjnif3zqs2ctgcmzq

On most days the 1566-jammer shows up along with HLAZ here, although in the new sound format (like in the recording posted from this morning) it typically is only audible with the 2 kHz pulsing tone every 2 seconds. This would probably be the only weak indication of the Jammer for someone who is struggling to hear it in North America under HLAZ for the first time. Of course it is an independent TP station, so although it generally follows the same propagation as HLAZ, it fades in and out at different times than HLAZ. Rarely it is all by itself on the frequency.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)