[IRCA] Brazil Heard in Ontario

Funny how things go sometimes... it all started when Saul mentioned to me
some of the stuff he was hearing at sunset in Burnt River on the weekend.
One that caught my eye was KTIC-840 in Nebraska.  Never logged here, so I
thought I'd give them a try on Monday evening.  I knew I'd be tied up with
dinner and such at the time they should be powering down this month (1800
EST), so I set up timed recording after nulling WHAS as best I could, and
left it to run.  Checking later, I found no sign of KTIC around 1800, but
when I checked the 1900 TOH recording, I found something interesting - a
man talking in what sounded to me like Portuguese.  I sent off audio clips
to a couple of Brazilian friends, and they both confirmed that this was
definitely a Brazilian station.  It was apparently religious programming,
and the man seemed to be giving a list of network affilates.  I didn't
hear a definite ID, but after going through the list of stations on 840
and eliminating the low power stations and those with other formats, I
came to the conclusion that by far the most likely candidate was ZYH447,
R. Excelsior da Bahia, in Salvador.  Looking at the multihop path between
Salvador and Ottawa (about 7700 km), it looks like all of the ground
reflections would be on salt water, which helps a lot.  Anyway, it goes
into the log as a tentative, and my first MW Brazilian.  :-) I believe my
only other logging from the Southern Hemisphere was Guayaquil, Ecuador on
540. That was almost exactly a year ago (Nov 18, 2004), so there seems to
be something special about this month for hearing South America.

If anyone wants to hear the clip (especially if you've heard that
particular station and might recognize it), drop me a note and I'll send
it along.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON