Re: [IRCA] UNID 1575

It is strange, that Iran would be so rare there as I am about the same direction to the north and here Iran is stronger than Farda. It is not always easy to distinguish them by programming, easier by frequency: Iran is about 40 Hz below nominal.

73, Mauno

18.12.2016, 0:38, Walter Salmaniw kirjoitti:
>From Masset, which is not too, too far from Galena, it's always Farda.  I
don't think I've heard Iran.  It makes sense, since Farda beams due north,
across the Pole, and right at us on the west coast.  Of course, the
simplest thing to do is to listen for an ID, which occurs
frequently.....73,...Walt

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Chris Kadlec <beaglebass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi guys,

Apologies for the short-sighted comments on 1575. I've never even heard of
Farda! Please keep in mind that I've been an FM listener for most of my DX
days and only know of what I can hear from Korea as far as AM goes. I don't
go globally aside from that region (and only have a working knowledge of
the clear-channels heard in the Midwest and East in the US and Canada). And
because the band is ridiculously congested in East Asia, that mainly
consists of all the stations many of you get for TP (including Paul, aside
from Australia and... this one). Beyond that, these are stations I would
never in my wildest dreams think of hearing from Korea.

But VOA in Thailand: that's a regular in Korea that I am familiar with.

-Chris Kadlec

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 06:56:01 +0000
From: Chuck Hutton <charlesh3@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] UNID 1575

As I see it:

  - Niche Radio carries a dozen or more languages. Why should we assume
they are in a mideastern language at this particular time?

   - Niche Radio was formerly Rete Italia and as such, was a difficult DX
target.

    - The programming matches the modern pop mideastern sound of Farda.

    - I won't claim to be a great Farsi linguist, but I am going with
Farsi on this one. I can have a native Farsi speaker give an opinion.

  - Farda gets out very well and has been a morning visitor in much of the
NW.

All of this is circumstantial, so no I can't prove anything yet. To not
even consider Farda as a candidate is very surprising.

And as best I know, no one has mentioned thinking this is VOA.

Chuck