[IRCA] More fun with loops

Continuation of the loop-in-the-truck project..

I made a second two foot loop identical to the first and put it in the back
of the truck at 90° to the first.  It's into the antenna switch, so I can go
with the N/S loop, the E/W loop or a 30" whip on the roof.  Results were
very interesting.  The E/W loop picks up much less line noise than the N/S
loop.  Both are much quieter on ignition noise than the whip.  Oddly, the
loops pick up AM in a tunnel or metal bridge much better than the whip.
Wasn't expecting that.  These loops have more gain the further up the band I
go.  Mostly noticeable days.

I was parked in downtown Providence for a half hour or so tonight.  About
100' from a five story courthouse.  Here are the results.  Times EST, rx is
a Blaupunkt Bremen MP74.

720  CHTN w/ Good Time Oldies CHTN ID.  Not heard much lately.  4:15pm

750  Religion on N/S loop, Baltimore?, Classical on E/W w/ CBC mention.
4:25pm

830  WEEU on E/W loop, WCRN on N/S.  IDs from both noted.  4:27pm

860  WWDB Money Talk Radio ID on E/W.  Montreal presumed with FF on N/S.
4:29pm

890  unid C&W mx on E/W, semi local ESPN on N/S  4:31pm

1070  CHOK w/ ID on N/S, CBA presumed with CBC fare on E/W loop,  4:37pm

On the way home a few hours later I had a number of two-station choices,
including RVC on 530 on one loop and an unid language on the other.  More
than likely it was CIAO.  Both clear.

Without phasing this is still a very useful tool.  Even normal listening to
stations like WWKB is made better.  I am very pleased.

Next phase will be making some one foot loops.  This is small enough to
mount outside the truck.  It may require a preamp, but I can rig that up.
Maybe a six inch loop?  Who knows..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI