[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 11-17, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page52

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2598-USB, Nov 13 at 0210, YL with weather in English, seems some noise in background, and fades. Canadian CG sked shows this is:
0207, 2598, VOJ, Port Aux Basques, from Stephenville NL site.

2748.98-USB, Nov 13 at 0208, YL in French, mentions geo coordinates in apparent notices to mariners about obstruxions, etc. Altho it started almost a semi-hour ago, this one is listed as:
0140, 2749, VCS, Halifax, from Cheboque NS site
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

============

** U S A. 1200, Nov 13 at 0250 UT, WOAI, San Antonio, the original ``Clear Channel`` station, is attempting to broadcast a BKB game in English, but heavy QRM in Spanish with a SAH of ~6 Hz from another game involving a pelota. Hard to null either as they are roughly opposite, surely WRTO Chicago, which normally does not QRM WOAI here at night. Sometimes WRTO even overrides WOAI; obviously on 20 kW day power and pattern with null toward SE but broadly plenty to the SW --- instead of 4 kW night beamed northward only! At first I thought it might be something else, even Cuban, but not // 1180 and later mentions of Chicago and canasta, so also BKB. Listed as UnivisiÃn AmÃrica affiliate, but that does not preclude local SBGs.

1200, Nov 17 at 0527 UT, ``AM 1200, UnivisiÃn AmÃrica`` ID mixing with WOAI, so WRTO Chicago is still running day facility at night. Tsk2, no clear channel for San Antonio any more (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1540, re the ESPN Deportes station I heard, KZMP University Park TX has supposedly flipped to ranchera. Trying again Nov 11 at 0145 UT, there`s a discussion in Spanish, maybe religious, 0149 UT some Tex-Mex music which may or may not be same station, but now likely KEDA San Antonio. Parked here, I happen to notice that there is no longer a het from the third 1540 Texan, KGBC Galveston, which for months was audibly off frequency on the high side. Wayne Heinen, Aurora Colorado, of NRC AM Log replies:

```Glenn, Canât find anything on ESPN Deportes on 1540 but the fact that KZMP has dropped it is reiterated here, from Radio Insight:

``Deportes Media has lost its LMAs of three of the four stations it operates with ESPN Deportes Radio programming. The company lost its LMA of Liberman Broadcastingâs 1540 KZMP University Park/Dallas in September and that station flipped to a simulcast of "La Ranchera 106.7" KZZA. Deportes Media had moved its San Francisco LMA from 860 KTRB to iHeartMediaâs 910 KKSF in July, but the format there is now being operated by iHeart directly. In Miami, Actualidad Radioâs 990 WMYM Miami has replaced Deportes Mediaâs LMA of Multicultural Broadcastingâs 1210 WNMA Miami Springs FL as the local affiliate. Deportes Media continues to operate Entravisionâs 1180 KGOL Humble/Houston TX. The websites for the other three stationssimply state the stations are off the air and a Dallas phone number for their accounting department. Deportes Media filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December 2015 and agreed to merge with CornerWorld Corporation in March. The merger had to close by September 30, 2016 or would automatically terminate. No filing or proof of closing can be found``

Also I logged KZMP with that programing and slogan 11/7 in overnight taping. 73, Wayne, N0POH, DM79op```

1540, Nov 12 at 1342 UT, again a long string of ESPN Deportes promos, but nothing local, fading by 1350 UT. DFing it, possibly a bit CCW from KZMP The Metroplex, but maybe skewed by need to avoid local noise source. I notified Wayne Heinen of NRC AM Log:

``It seems to me there may be 3 possibilities:

KZMP is still running ESPND at least part-time. Bearing may be slightly CCW from The Metroplex: The Gretna LA station is already listed as Spanish (Tropical) so that may be a start. There aren`t any 1540s to the N/NNW, except McPherson KS, which AFAIK is still English talk. Ideas? Glenn``. He replies:

``Glenn, That might be. Terry Krueger had a friend check on WNMA-1210 near Miami and they are still running ESPN-D part time, supposed to be under a new brokerage agreement. The rest of the time is EE/SS AC.

This in a report from Radio Insight; read it right after I answered your last email. A check of my log explains my logging of KZMP. It was overnight SDR tape from 10/9 that was actually reviewed on 11/7 and the date didn't get modified in my Access MW logger software. SDR is great but takes me two days to review one night`s taping! 73 Wayne Heinen, Editor AM Radio Log``

Which is one reason I will never go SDR --- I don`t have enough time, already.

1540, Nov 13 circa 1340 UT, not a hint of ESPND 24 hours later â just deleted Elder Jacob O Meyer (DEJOM) on KXEL instead of WMLK.

1540, Nov 14 at 1330 UT I am only getting KXEL IA, but at 1346 UT, now it`s the ESPN Deportes station again with a long string of promos, each specifying times only in Eastern and Pacific. WHAT ABOUT THE GREAT CENTER OF AMERICA, whence this signal surely emanate? 1347 UT mixing KXEL with usual SAH; conversation about fÃtbol via an 800 number; 1355 UT outro as `Recorrido deportivo`, apparent program title. Then ads/promos including one for ``Estrella TV en canal 29``. Now we have something local to go on!

W9WI.com shows three Estrellas on RF 29: Our own KTUZ (as virtual 48); K29AZ in Newport OR as virtual 8.3 along with KGW; and KNKC-LD, 4 kW in Lubbock TX, the only one as matching with virtual 29.1. But there is no 1540 in Lubbock. All along I have strongly suspected this is really KZMP in The Metroplex, so is there a virtual 29 there? W9WI is filed by RF channels, not virtuals, so on RF 29 we find megawatt KTXA Fort Worth as virtual 21, INDependent in English, and 21.2 MeTV. So to
http://rabbitears.info/networkgrid.php?group=lang&alt=&suppress=&sort=
where we hover over the various markets in the Estrella TV column. DFW shows it IS on KMPX 29-1, so I now consider that a definite ID for KZMP. I check all the other markets, and the only other ``29`` is Lubbock. Back to W9WI.com to track down KMPX: its RF channel is 30, with a megawatt, including on virtual 29.1: Estrella, bingo. At 1400 UT, the 1540 station does seem to run a very quick legal ID, but I cannot copy it!

1540, Nov 15 at 1345 UT I`m checking again. KXEL with far-right local commentator, but no Spanish QRM today; still a SAH of 44/minute = 0.73 Hz, and today it`s in English with rock music, no ID at ToH when KXEL is still audible with Fox ``news``. 1345 UT is not the official KZMP sunrise: in November it`s 1300 UT; December and January, 1330 UT.

1540, Nov 17 at 1314 UT, ESPN-Deportes promos ignoring Central and Mountain timezones, heavy CCI and SAH, from what we now know is KZMP University Park TX. Around 1300 UT I was only hearing KXEL IA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2097.3, Nov 17 at 0523 check, beacon A in Morse every 10 seconds from Quartzsite AZ. I hear it just about any time I check at night, but in well this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2960.0, Nov 17 at 0520, very poor AM carrier, to be flagged as a possible broadcast harmonic from 1480 or 740. Waivers a bit, which is suspicious, and also another one on 2959.4 via the NRD-545, which does emit birdies here and there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED 3101.0-USB, Nov 17 at 0518, YL with alfanumeric fonetix, ``over``, very poor; answered by OM, ``This is Echo, roger, out``. Listed as just an aeronautical mobile service frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---