[IRCA] Murray Harbour North PEI Report # 3

After a disappointing afternoon and evening of the 8th November, static
levels dropped on the 9th producing a huge number of MW loggings, many of
which were lower power UK stations.  A great deal of fun, going from
frequency to frequency, IDing each one, only to find another station or two
on the same channel fading in.  Here's my list up to 09:00 this morning the
10th Nov 2016.  Nick moved his DKAZ to 30 degrees and shortened somewhat to
140 feet or so, with the intention of nulling some of the static on the
backside.  Well it worked fine for me!   73,   Walt Salmaniw

677 LIBYA Benghazi 100 kW Libya Al Wataniya, Nov 9 0204 - Thanks to
Wolfgang Bueschel for the reminder about Libya.  Yes, we have been hearing
them.  Tonight on measured 677.496 at good/very good level but with
significant static crashes tonight.  We also see 1053.1 mixing with a UK
station.  I note that the MW List gives a schedule of 05 - 23:50.  Perhaps
on late for the US elections ;-). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

756 UNITED KINGDOM Carlisle 1 kW BBC Radio Cumbria, Nov 10 0900 - Fair
reception with ID, although some static crashed right on the 'Cumbria'
part.  Mentioned a traffic line at 0345 305 3939.  A quick Google search
confirms this to be the Traffic line for BBC Radio Cumbria.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

810 SCOTLAND BBC Radio Scotland, Nov 10 0900 - 810 MW mentioned followed by
BBC Radio Scotland ID.  Good reception.  Into news.  3 transmitters listed
here.  2 at 100 kW at Burghead and Westerglen, and a 5 kW sender at
Aberdeen. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

846 NORTHERN IRELAND Redcastle 1 kW Radio North, Nov 9 1909 - Weak, but in
the clear playing C&W music.  Parallel to their internet stream at
http://www.radionorth.net/  Ads at 19:23. Rechecked at 09:00, and much
better with Insight for Living (a US based Gospel program).  Quite a lot of
splatter, though. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

855 UNITED KINGDOM unid BBC, Nov 10 0900 - Not an easy channel.  Cochannel
RNE Spain, but able to make out British accented announcer with BBC Radio
ID, but not until :28 sec past the TOH.  2 BBC channels listed.  BBC Radio
Lancashire and BBC Radio Norfolk, both with 1 kW.  At 09:02 the BBC
dominated over RNE. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

864 EGYPT Santah 500 kW ERTU Al-Quran al-Karim, Nov 9 1935 - Non-stop Quran
recitations across the BOH, so presumed not Iran.  Very strong.  Just a
hint of cochannels. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

882 WALES Washford 100 kW BBC Radio Wales, Nov 9 1936 - Very strong with
sports news.  COPE is audible cochannel, but weaker.  Static crashes more
manageable today compared to yesterday!  Rechecked at 09:00 with time check
for 09:00.  No time pips or ID at TOH, but local Wales programming
including weather and road conditions.  Full ID into news only at 09:01:30.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

891 HOLLAND Hulsberg 22 kW Radio Patrium ?, Nov 9 1952 - Looped
announcement noted, including in English.  Realized it had to be Holland,
but also cochannel impassioned talk ongoing.  By 20:00 had faded back to
the Dutch loop.  Listening to the UTwente SDR, sounds like they're saying,
'This  is Radio Patrium'...  When rechecked at 20:14, much stronger again,
but so is the cochannel at times.  Who can it be?. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour
PEI)

900 CUBA San German-Urbano Noris Radio Progreso, Nov 10 0900 - Fair to good
reception with ID.  I can hear the same under CBC on 600 kHz.  Off the back
end of our DKAZ, so an incidental logging!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

900 ITALY Milano 50 kW RAI Radio 1, Nov 9 2020 - Strong reception with
usual animated Italian.  Only a hint of domestics at this time.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

918 SLOVENIJA Ljubljana 50 kW Radio Slovenija 1, Nov 9 2026 - Very strong
reception of RS 1.  EZL talk.  I see that they list English at 21:30.  I'll
have to see if that happens!  Checked back at 21:30.  Before was a lovely
rendition from Zemphir.  English started about 30 seconds late, but good
reception, although cochannel now with Radio Inter, 50 kW from Madrid.
Still, Slovenia dominates.   Also a het from the Nigerian on 917.  Weather
at 21:35, with highs between 3 and 8 deg C.  Into German. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1026 NORTHERN IRELAND Belfast  1.7 kW Downtown Radio, Nov 9 2056 - Matches
the website, but the feed is down.  C&W music.  Program now is  Downtown
Country with Big T.  Fits.  Cochannels present which come and go,
especially SER.  Earlier, I could hear another English speaker, so either
BBC Radio Jersey or BBC Radio Cambridgeshire. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1026 NORTHERN IRELAND Belfast 1.7 kW Downtown Radio, Nov 10 0900 - Local
ads before the TOH including for Belfast International Airport.  Downtown
Radio ID at the TOH, and into news.  09:00 TC.  Irish accented male.
Northern Ireland air ambulance service announced.  Good reception at times.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1035 UNITED KINGDOM Aberdeen or Symington Northsound Two, or West Sound AM,
Nov 9 2113 - Looks like they play the same stream.  Listening to Aretha
Franklin which is listed on-line.  Fair reception overall, but pretty
steady reception. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1062 ITALY Cagliari 60 kW RAI Radio, Nov 9 1905 - Good reception with
Italian news about the US elections.  3 transmitter sites noted.  The first
with 60 kW, then Catania with 20 kW and Ancona with 6 kW.  I can make out
an echo, indicating slight out of sync transmitters.   Another cochannel
present, sounding very like IRIB Radio Kerman with 50 kW.  Sometimes almost
as strong. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1107 SPAIN Multiple RNE Radio 5, Nov 9 2125 - Major echoing going on with 5
transmitters, not all in sync.  Very good level. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour
PEI)

1107 UNITED KINGDOM Muliple TalkSPORT, Nov 10 0900 - I've noted on
TalkSPORT channels local ads before the TOH and over the TOH local ads.
Nothing to really ID.  Noted the same on 1089. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1134 KUWAIT Idh'at al-Dawlat al-Kuwayt 100 kW Radio Kuwait Main Arabic
Channel, Nov 9 2156 - Good reception, mostly well over Spaniard COPE.
Parallel to internet feed found at:  http://media.gov.kw/. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1152 SCOTLAND Glasgow 3.6 kw Clyde  2, Nov 10 0900 - Nice ID and into
news.  Local ads up to the TOH.  Good reception. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour
PEI)

1161 UNITED KINGDOM Dundee 1.4 kW Tay 2, Nov 9 2217 - Excellent reception
playing 'the greatest love songs until 1'.  ID'd just now as Tay 2.  Around
the table, Nick mentions he heard Viking 2 last night, and I'm also hearing
the BBC at times on this channel, with programming 'Across the south'.  so
presumably BBC Sussex with 1 kW from Bexhill-on-Sea. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1170 UAE Abu Dhabi FM  800 kW Abu Dhabi FM, Nov 9 2224 - Just picked up
Arabic programming and confirmed // to webstream at: http://www.adradio.ae/
abudhabiradio/#    But rapidly faded to be replaced by 2 UK stations, one
with Celine Dion, and the other with an Ad, mentioning web addresses in the
UK. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1170 UNITED KINGDOM Swansea 0.58 kW Swansea Sound, Nov 9 2232 - Confirmed
by webstream, playing, 'I'm yours'.  Often dominating the channel.  Not a
sign of any domestics here!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1179 ROUMANIA Bacau 400 kW SRR Radio Romania Actualitati, Nov 9 2236 -
Dominating just now playing, 'Cold as Ice', at very good level.  Well over
cochannel SER Spanish stations. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1188 IRAN Tehran 300 kW IRIB Radio Payam, Nov 9 2241 - Excellent reception
with EZL music, and a nice ID.  What an evening!  Superb reception, and the
static is very manageable!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1197 UNITED KINGDOM Numerous transmitters Absolute Radio, Nov 9 2243 -
Great reception in the clear, and // to 1215, of course.  Many transmitters
listed between 0.2 and 2 kW.  No problem for TA propagation tonight!.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1206 ISRAEL Haifa 10 kW IBA Reshet Bet, Nov 9 2249 - A tough copy due to
splatter from 1215, but identifiable with their webstream at:
http://www.iba.org.il/bet/. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1233 CZECH REPUBLIC Libeznice 10 kW Radio Dechovka, Nov 9 2302 - Weak but
parallel to webstream at:  http://www.radiodechovka.cz/   Bruce Conti heard
them earlier at strong level at 21:00 UTC.  I'll need to look at my
recordings from earlier today!  Playing folk music.  5 transmitters listed
between 0.5, 2, 5 or 10 kW.  Much stronger a few minutes later when
rechecked at 23:06. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1241 HUNGARY Szombathely or Myiregyhaza 25 kW MR Danko Radio, Nov 10 0342 -
Fair to good reception with classical music, and // to webstream found at:
http://www.mediaklikk.hu/danko-radio-elo/. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1251 IRAN Kiashahr 100 kW IRIB Radio Iran, Nov 9 2319 - A difficult catch
due to splatter, but definitely // to much strong 1503.  EZL music, a
female announcer. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1278 IRAN (TENTATIVE) Kermanshah 200 kW IRIB Radio Kermanshah, Nov 9 2339 -
Pretty sure this is Iran, but a difficult channel due to splatter.  Mostly
poor to fair, but did come up to good level with talk in presumed Farsi.
I've been unable to find any decent on-line live feeds.  Bruce earlier
heard them // to 1503, but not certain whether it's the case now or not.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1296 UNITED KINGDOM Birmingham 10 kW Radio XL, Nov 9 2351 - Very powerful
with a nice ID at 23:52 (jingle then by female DJ).  Cochannel presumed
Iranian, quite a bit off channel on 1296.064, while XL was on 1296.003.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1323 UNITED KINGDOM Brighton 0.5 kW Smooth Radio, Nov 10 0003 - A tough
catch, but faded up to fair level, then down, but still able to ascertain
// to on-line feed.  Not bad at all!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1332 CZECH REPUBLIC Moravske 50 kW CRo Dvojka, Nov 10 0009 - Fair reception
in Czech, but faded down, and when next faded up I'm next hearing SRR Radio
Romania Actualitati from Galati with 50 kW.  I don't think I was mistaken
about the Czech station, though.  Checked for // on 639 and 954, but no
luck. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1368 ISLAND OF MAN Douglas 20 kW Manx Radio, Nov 9 0200 - 'Broadcasting
from the Isle of Man, this is Manx Radio'.  Good reception if not for the
static crashes here. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1368 ISLE OF MAN Douglas 20 kW Manx Radio, Nov 10 0019 - Good reception
playing, 'Party Like a Russian'. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1386 LITHUANIA Sitkunai 75 kW Radio Baltic Waves International, Nov 10 0026
- Very strong reception of Radio Liberty's Russian service.  Excellent
modulation.  They punch much higher than their 75 kW!. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1404 GREECE Komotini 50 kW ERA, Nov 10 0039 - Unable to find an internet
feed but Nick confirms this to be Greek.  Initially with bag-pipes like
instrument, then ongoing talk.  Not their Proto program in any case.  Good
level at times.  Nick confirms that it is the Voice of Greece.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1413 MOLDOVA Grigoriopol 500 kW Vesti FM, Nov 10 0042 - Very strong, but a
minute or two ago, there was a music segment, which is likely from RNE
Radio 5.  Not so fast.  At 00:44, music (in English) faded back up.  Yes,
confirmed RNE Radio 5 from 00:45. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1422 ALGERIA Ouled Fayet 50 kW Radio Coran, Nov 10 0049 - Good reception,
with a buzzy transmitter.  Occasionally also hearing Roumania here
(Actualitati from Ramnicu Valcea with 10 kW). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1458 UNITED KINGDOM Ashton Moss 5 kW Gold, Nov 10 0900 - Jingle ID at TOH.
Fair reception.  Into news.  Cochannel with other UK stations.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1458 UNITED KINGDOM Brookmans Park 125 kW Lyca Radio, Nov 10 0109 - Jingle
ID at 01:07 UTC, cochannel with Roumania Actualitati (50 kW at Constanta).
Not terribly strong despite the 125 kW.  Followed by Indian music.  by
01:10, Actualitati dominated. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1467 IRAN Qom 100 kW IRIB Radio Qom, Nov 10 0114 - Way off channel, but
still dominating.  Measured tonight on 1467.370 compared to on-channel
1467.000 for the other station (?Saudi Arabia).  Fair copy.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1476 IRAN Marivan 20 kW IRIB Radio Kordestan, Nov 10 0119 - Another way off
channel.  Measuring tonight on 1476.267 compared to another cochannel on
1476.000.  Snippets of what sounds like Quran chants, but I think that is
coming from Egypt (Al-Quran al-Karim) listed with 10 kW (2 sites).
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1485 UNITED KINGDOM Carlisle 0.79 kW BBC WS, Nov 10 0132 - Relaying the WS,
// 198, at fair level, but soon pushed out by Spain.  Could still hear the
BBC in the background, but then I checked and this time it was // to BBC
Radio 5 Live feed, making it from either BBC Radio Humberside in Hull with
2 kw, BBC Radio Merseyside in Wallasey with 2kw, or BBC Sussex in Brighton,
with 1 kW.  My head is spinning!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1485 UNITED KINGDOM Wallasey 2 kW BBC Radio Merseyside, Nov 10 0900 - 'From
the heart of Liverpool, this is BBC Radio Merseyside', and into the news.
Good reception. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1503 IRAN Bushehr 200 kW IRIB Radio Iran, Nov 10 0141 - Good reception with
Call to Prayer.  Nick pointed out a weak parallel which sure enough was
there.  Earlier he had them on 1026 as well. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1512 GREECE Khania 50 kW ERA Proto Programma, Nov 9 2008 - Nick pointed out
this very strange programming. After a search, we were able to conclude
that it was from Greece, and likely the Proto Programma.  Good to very good
reception at times.  Presumably the 1000 kW Saudi came up by a few minutes
later (1000 kW from Jeddah). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1512 SAUDI ARABIA Jeddah 1000 kW SBC Idha'at ul-Nedaa al-Islam, Nov 10 0147
- Undermodulated, with Quranic chants.  Some 1510 splatter, but otherwise
pretty strong. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1521 SAUDI ARABIA Duba 2000 kW SBC Radio Riyadh, Nov 10 0100 - After an
absence for a while, they are definitely back with news in Arabic.  Not
overwhelming, though, so wonder if on with a standby lower power
transmitter?. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1530 UNITED KINGDOM Huddersfield 0.74 kW Pulse 2, Nov 10 0150 - Playing Boy
George's Do you really want to hurt me?  Fair with cochannel probable
Roumania (Radauti with 15 kW). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1548 SCOTLAND Edinburgh 2.2 kW Forth 2, Nov 10 0900 - 'This is Forth 2 with
the latest news next' at ToH.  A tough copy.  Into news.  Fair copy with
lots of splatter.  Local ads before the TOH with mentions of Scotland.
Local news after the TOH, with mentions of Edinburgh. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1548 UNITED KINGDOM London 97.5 kW Gold, Nov 10 0201 - ID clearly as, 'This
is Gold from Global.60s, 70s and 80s,  all night long'.  Seems to be other
cochannels, very much like TIS frequency of 1610 stateside.  A real
mish-mash.  Fair reception. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1575 ITALY Genova 30 kW RAI Radio 1, Nov 9 2143 - Yet another RAI station.
Definitely the afternoon of Italian stations at very good level, totally
dominating the frequency. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1593 ROMANIA Several transmitter sites SRR Radio Romania Actualitati, Nov
10 0213 - Good reception confirmed by website // stream.  4 sites listed in
Romania between 10 and 15 kW.  Modern Romanian music. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1730 GREECE Unid Unid, Nov 9 2138 - Pirate, presumably Greek.  On each
evening, mostly with lots of music, but tonight.  Transmitter cut for about
5 seconds, then back, although I'm not certain it's the same op.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)