[IRCA] first look at Orleans, MA mini-DXpedition captures 9 NOV

--- Begin Message ---
>From 3:15-6 p.m. EST / 2015-2300 UTC I DX'ed at Orleans, MA and took Perseus captures every 15 minutes.

Most were with the car roof 2m x 2m "micro-superloop" set to null NYC (~255 deg.).  I did a few with a more northerly null to reduce Boston and Portland area pests.  On one of the null-Boston captures, Argentina 1030 was absolutely shredding WBZ.

Right out of the chute at 2015 UTC, the Brits on 909, 1089, and 1215 were blasting.  The Albanian on 1394.9 (more or less) was also very strong very early.  More interesting stuff soon joined the fray.

Saudi on 1521 is back in action.  Smokin' the front end.

I had Lyca Radio UK 1458 with ID around 2300 UTC.  I have barely scratched the surface on capture review but I did note that TA's were good throughout and Latin Americans got interesting starting around 2200 UTC.

Venezuelans on 1290, 1300, 1320, 1380, 1420, and 1500 - stations hardly ever heard at the house - were fairly easy pickings.

FYI, Bermuda is back on 1280 with usual religion, BBN mention, and Wadesboro-Charlotte mention in network programming.  Well over the Brazil, P.R., NY, and ME melange when checked at 2300 UTC, so go get 'em!

St. Kitts - Nevis had a good signal on 860 (over Brazil) with its "Power from the Tower" slogan.  In splash sandwich with 855 Spain and 864 Egypt.

1480 Puerto Rico was demolishing WSAR.

As the PEI crew noted, there's a surprising amount of static for November.  Of course lightning 1000 miles away over seawater can be just as bad as over 50 miles of land.  Static that pestered us during the 1991 Newfie DXpedition was coming from the mouth of the Amazon at something like 4000 miles.  That, of course, was with a Bev pointed right at it.

Much more, including audio clips, will be coming available over the next few days.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

--- End Message ---