Re: [IRCA] WC Nov 5 snapshot - SDR shoot-out

Drake R8s are pretty cheap these days. I'm selling mine for $450 (plus shipping) on Ebay. Original owner. Refurbished by the Drake R8 manufacturer several years ago, and rarely used since
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drake-R8-Shortwave-Receiver-/291918828655

Selectivity: The good SDRs with 14-16 bit AD converters (Elad 2, Perseus, the most recent Winradios, QS1R) crush traditional (non-DSP) radios (even the $10k models) in terms of selectivity both in terms of the shape factor (I think we get close to 1.1?) and number of filters (unlimited). I'm not sure about ultimate rejection. You can also get great selectivity with the cheap portable DSP radios (though they have other problems).

Stability - varies a lot. I think if you want extreme stability you need an external reference. Now where SDRs have the advantage is that you can apply a general offset to fix your accuracy. You can use a time signal or other known stable signal to get your accuracy as high as possible. So it's cheap accuracy. I can measure carriers with accuracy of plus or minus 0.1 hz on the QS1R on MW (or plus or minus 0.2 hz if the station is coming from 2000+ miles) which is useful if you want to null or maximize a station in a pile of others. I can also receive frequencies with 1 hz resolution (the Drake R8 was 10 hz accuracy).

Software: A SDR can be dependent upon good software from the manufacturer. The one advantage you have over non-SDRs is that there are some software like SDR Console V3 (which I think is the best) that handle most of the popular radios (though unfortunately not the QS1R, but I can use the HDSDR). By contrast the Drake R8 manufacturers came out with a single update (on EPROM). In general you can expect that your radio will improve over time due to new software, whereas with traditional radios it is less likely. The custom QS1R software is very good - though they are unfortunately never going to improve their recording function due to the company having limited resources. I also have an SDRPlay and their custom software is frankly extremely quirky and some of the worst User Interface design I've seen. The Drake R8 also suffers from a bad user interface which was only partially fixed by the second EPROM.

Dynamic Range: my QS1R seems to have about equal dynamic range with the Drake R8. It might be better, as I never used the R8 with an amplified antenna nor living 1 mile from an AM station.

Frequency coverage: SDRs typically have wider coverage. The QS1R goes from about 0 khz to 65 mhz and can be modded to receive up to 200 mhz or so (I haven't tried it).

Modes: SDRs excel at having more modes, including digital decoding. For instance, the QS1R (and others) can decode an entire band worth of CW simultaneously.

Notches: I think I can create ten customizable notches (set the frequency and width) as well as an automated notch. That said, I normally only need one notch.

Noise reduction: I'm still hoping that SDRs will improve upon their noise reduction and blanking techniques. I never use "Noise Reduction" and Noise Blanking is useful, but could be a lot better. I think there are ways to identify noise and cancel it out that haven't been tried. For instance, I think you should be able to cancel out lightning noise bursts or the noise from switching power supplies (maybe I'm a dreamer!). In the future, I'm hopeful that software based antenna and receiver phasing will be more common.

Now I had a great time with my Drake R8, spending thousands of hours listening to radio stations - especially in the 1990s when the dials were full of radio stations, but now I've got limited space and am happy to go with an SDR.

Aaron

--
High resolution map of race and income --> JusticeMap.org