Re: [IRCA] DKAZ questions

Keith, wrote on Oct 7,

"I'm about 15 miles SSE of Boston. My situation with local stations, noise and interference is somewhat interesting.

On MW I have WBZ and their 50kw blowtorch just to my NNE by about 4 miles but other than that I'm in good shape. I have very little noise (my noise floor on the ELAD at 500 khz is somewhere around -115). I have a switched termination superloop that is about 50x100 running SW/NE and a couple of Wellbrook ALA1530's (one is the S+ while the other is a borrowed older model). I have slightly more than 3/4 of acre so I can separate my antennas by about 90 to 100 ft. My problem is with phasing. No matter what configuration (altho I've yet to try the 2 Wellbrooks together) I find it hard not hear WBZ underneath the null (phase) on a number of frequencies. Even with a Chris Scott Associates AM tuneable notch I have phasing issues (the notch works perfectly on BZ without the Phaser however). In other cases if I don't hear BZ under the phase (null) I get a nasty hum. The one section of the AM band I do have some decent phasing luck is above 1200 khz but not always.

On FM I have WGBH with 98kw about 7 miles west of me. No problems their except when pointing the FM antennas that way I have set the attenuation on the ELAD.

Keith McGinnis
Hingham MA"

Keith, the problem is due to the loop amp. or the Phaser being overload with the 50kW Tx just 4 miles away. The fix for the loop overload would be to use the ALA1530LN as this has lower 3 order IMD in the MW band.

73

Andrew Ikin