Re: [IRCA] DKAZ questions

But what I'd like to know is whether a homemade 16:1 transformer and a 20 dB 50 Ohm preamp work just as well. They would cost a lot, lot less, but (I assume) give up a small amount of gain.

Chuck

________________________________
From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:02 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] DKAZ questions

Agreed.    They do cost a fair amount (mind you the exchange rate
with the pound isn't bad right now), but are solidly built and work
very well.   Money well spent.

best wishes,

Nick

At 22:17 06-10-16, you wrote:
>I very strongly recommend the Wellbrook FLG100LN, They go right at the
>antenna and replace your xfmr. Now what is picked up by the antenna is
>amped 22 dB whereas what is picked up by the coax is not amped at all.
>
>I have two of these and they've survived IL weather for over 3 years.  73
>KAZ Barrington IL
>
>On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Mark Pettifor <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For those of you who have DKAZ antennas, which preamp do you use? Do you
> > find it makes much difference whether you put it at the antenna or in the
> > shack?
> >
> > I need to "finish" construction on mine. Right now, I have two 470-ohm
> > resistors alligator-clipped together for the null end, and a hand-wound
> > transformer (my first ever) on a core made of unknown material, to go from
> > 940 to 50 into a 50-ohm feedline.... RG-8X, 150 feet. That is also
> > alligator-clipped together. It was for testing, ya know?  :^)
> >
> > It's been pretty good as is, but I want to get it ready to survive the
> > winter.
> >
> > BTW, it's amazing the amount of noise just a short length of RG-8X 100%
> > shielded coax will pick up. I have it mostly on the ground, but have a
> > small part of the run overhead for now (30 feet?) so I don't mow over it.
> >
> > I know this is probably all in the archives, but technology changes, what
> > people consider the "best" changes as they learn from experience, etc, etc.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mark Pettifor
> > 140' DKAZ pointed south
> > random wire sloping up to the NW about 150 feet long, non-terminated
> > ELAD FDM-S2
> > Near Goshen, IN

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America

>original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
>the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada