[IRCA] Look for hurricane emergency AM operations

--- Begin Message ---
Hello Glenn: With the arrival of Hurricane Matthew on Florida's east coast, it will be interesting to see if WOKV 690 gets an STA for overnight operation of the 50 kW ND daytime facility at Orange Park along the St. Johns River. If so, this will be a good DX catch. As a former resident of Jacksonville who has been to the site, I know that the daytime antenna base is close to sea and river level, which allows for excellent grounding of the copper radials. At high tide with storm surge affecting river height, the tower tuning unit could be affected.

I'm therefore wondering if the nighttime facility on higher ground west at Baldwin could be configured temporarily with STA authorization to feed tower one only for ND nighttime operation with the 25 kW transmitter. Another DX catch if such operation develops. I'll be listening here in North Carolina where I've heard the signal from the 50 kW transmitter once before years ago during a similar weather event. Best regards, (Richard Howard, Burnsville, Yancey county, NC, NRD-545, 80' longwire at 45' height, Oct 5, WORLD OF RADIO 1846, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

And of course many other MW stations could go onto emergency facilities, day powers/patterns at night, enhancing local and DX coverage (Glenn Hauser, ibid.)

--- End Message ---