[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 30-October 6, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page51

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 990, Wed Oct 5 at 0605 UT, CBW Winnipeg with Monocle 24 previewing coverage of events in London; not to be confused with BBCWS! As on the CBC Overnight schedule:

``Section D & The Foreign Desk regularly airs on:
CBC Radio One Wednesday	1:00 AM - 2:00 AM [local, in this case CDT]
Want to know more? Visit
http://monocle.com/radio/shows/section-d/

Presented by Hugo Macdonald, Section D investigates the design world from furniture brands to architecture. The Foreign Desk: Monocle 24âs flagship global affairs show featuring interviews with political leaders and in-depth analysis of the big issues of the day`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEWFOUNDLAND. 2598-USB, Sept 30 at 0101 UT, YL robot with marine weather in English, fighting the S9 noise level with less than that. Per the sked I compiled in DXLD 16-36 at this hour it`s VCP, transmitted from the town of St. Lawrence, on The Rock. Nothing from the New Scotlands now on 2749-USB (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** OKLAHOMA. 255, Sept 30 at 0151 UT, beacon ``SW``, which per
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm
is merely Stillwater OK, ``Blaki``, airport name?? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Google Blaki and you mainly get some Spanish actor and a place in Poland; what`s it got to do with Stillwater NDB? (gh)

** OKLAHOMA. 594+, another Friday afternoon, Sept 30, so another DX-pedition into the wilds of Garfield county pursuing that mysterious weak carrier which at first could have been coming from Kolkata: I`m determined to keep driving until I find it. I`ve already confirmed that it is to the SSE of Enid, so I start at the same spot as a week ago, Wheat Capital Road eastward from US 81 (opposite from the south side of Vance AFB). Yes, it`s there this week. Then I go a couple miles further south before turning east, past Pioneer School. By 78 St. intersexion, it`s about due south, but there are not passable (or any roads) at every mile, so I`m zigging and zagging a bit, and soon can tell there is enough signal to bring with it a trace of modulation on the DFing DX-398. By 2103 UT, near Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Reed Road and 78 or 66 (no street markers this far out), there`s enough talk mod to search another radio for a // on MW from top down --- first stop is 1640 KZLS --- and that`s it! That site is further in the same direxion, a few miles east of Hennessey across the county line in Kingfisher on State Hwy [not US as in original report] 51.

So for some strange reason, this 1640 transmitter is putting out a spur 1046 kHz below it. I check 1046 above it on 2686, altho I don`t really have a suitable antenna with me for almost-shortwave, but I have never noticed anything there at home. Back on the home rig NRD-545 and ALA-330S antenna, still in daytime circa 2130 UT, I tune carefully between 590 and 600, and believe it`s the extremely weak carrier on about 594.85, among some other birdies nearby from who knows what, but are unstable. Maybe bigrigs at DX can detect it on 594.85? Or at least Richard Allen near Perry, SW from him (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 3740-AM, Oct 4 at 0549 UT, I`m checking all the publicized Cuban ham frequencies involved with hurricane coverage, but hear nothing; except here as I am reminded that this is occupied by a JBA local mixing product: 2 x 1390 (KCRC) + 1 x 960 (KGWA) = 3740 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Oct 3 at 0051 UT, Spanish song seems to have Christian angle, but soon at 0053 UT ``La Ranchera 880`` non-ID; best on E-W ALA-330S antenna, but not much KRVN to cope with tonight. That slogan leads to WMDB Nashville TN, 2500/2 watts! And not to the one I assumed last time, 880 WIJR Highland IL, 1700/160 watts, which is ``La Tremenda`` per 2016-2017 NRC AM Log. WMDB is the one which was compensating for negligible night power by buying time on WNQM 1300 and its spurs out of WWCR until those were eliminated; now maybe they just leave 2500 watts on 880 instead. Does WCBS care? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1170, Oct 3 at 0345 UT, gospel huxter under KFAQ Tulsa, making slow SAH with it, so WWVA Ohio is still out of whack, deliberately? Failing to protect us from itself (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1579.58, Oct 3 at 0047 UT, significant het to 1580.0 stations from a carrier here, no doubt WVOK Oxford AL still on same off-frequency as weeks ago (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. 930, Oct 2 circa 1230 UT, another Spanish station with WKY OKC nulled, likely KAPR Douglas AZ, as per previous research, but tough to get a definite ID. Correlates with 730 and 980 XE logs from same area now, south of the AZ border, anyway. At 1242 UT, WKY music suffers IADs again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1330+ and 1350-, Oct 3 at 0049 UT, I am getting the same rapid clicking sound when tuned to 1330-USB and 1350-LSB, but not the corresponding LSB/USB of either, ergo suspected of being matching spurious out of one of the hundreds of 1340 stations.

1330+ and 1350-, Oct 3 at 0353 UT, the rapid clicking noises I reported before on the NRD-545 with stationary antenna, I now also hear on the DX-398 so can get a bearing on them: east/west on both, presumably from some out-of-whack 1340 station. Closest along that axis is KJMU Sand Springs OK, if active, but never notice the spurs in daytime. Beyond that, a couple in northern AR, a couple more in southern MO, many further east; two in northern NM, one in northern AZ, etc., etc. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---