Re: [IRCA] Latin America DX western US/Canada (was: Oklahoma TP DX 10/3/16)

I think that the westerners lack of enthusiasm for auroras is generally poor results when one occurs. Possible reason is that the aurora has to be quite intense to affect us, as our geomagnetic latitude is further south than the eastern and midwestern USA. An aurora that wipes out midwestern interference for easterners is also going to start to block paths from say Venezuela to the Pacific northwest. An aurora that shuts down reception of the still dominant eastern clear channels for eastern DXers, allowing southern DX to get through, has little effect on our principal interference sources here, which are from the south (San Francisco, Portland etc.) Our interference from Boise, Calgary and Billings, MT is just not that important in comparison. As someone said once to me in Vancouver, BC, when you face north, the next city of any size is St Petersburg; there is just not much interference up that way.

So, we're spoiled here. Compared with the east and mid west, the band is not so full of powerful signals. However, what powerful signals we have are all in the way of reception from Central and South America, which is a fair bit further away than those locations are from the eastern part of the continent....mostly a land path too, whereas your paths often involve water. And the aurora won't affect them without affecting targets further south.

So, we'll just have to wait for split frequencies and continent wide clear channels to return.

best wishes,

Nick