Re: [IRCA] Latin America DX western US/Canada (was: Oklahoma TP DX 10/3/16)

--- Begin Message ---
The following sites give a fair approximation of what is heard here on the East Coast - Bruce Conti's stuff and my stuff in the New England / eastern Canada region.

http://www.bamlog.com/2010decadebook.htm
http://www.bamlog.com/2014peidxped.htm
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_aug_to_dec2015.htm
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_march2015.htm

How much of that applies to the West Coast is anyone's guess.  Obviously what domestic interference is on what frequency will change things up.

Even around here going from a beach site to a few miles inland kills off a remarkable amount of stuff.  Brazilians and sub-equatorial Africans tend to "fall off the cliff": 40 dB down 40 miles inland in the optimum period immediately after sunset.  Closer countries such as Colombia have better inland penetration.  The 760 RCN outlet gets heard all over the place, at least well into the Midwest when aurora suppresses WJR.  I think that's the only South American I bagged on numerous business trips to El Paso, TX in 1986 and 1987.  In '86 with a Walkman on a flight over Dallas-Fort Worth I did get 800 PJB blasting over XEROK.  I guess Bonaire counts as South America.  Colin mentioned Caracas.  750 is the biggie there.  The other often-good Venezuelan (at least here) is Radio Coro on 780, a station that frequently ID's in a boisterous fashion that cuts through the crud.

Richard Wood in HI did pretty well to targets on the western coast of South America - Ecuador, Peru, Chile, etc. - including stations uncommon in the eastern states.  But again we're talking water path, just a reverse-TP one.  So his old logs (in old DX Monitors?), besides likely showing a lot of gone-dark stations / splits, may not be all that useful to DXers in Seattle etc. in 2016.

My "two cents."  I'm always surprised at how auroras are not usually a cause for great DX enthusiasm out west and that so little non-Mexico Latin American activity is ever reported even with probably 4 times as many active DXers out there as compared to the northeastern USA and adjacent Canadian provinces.  (And you guys are often running better antennas.)

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
I remember that! And I have been thinking about it all week.

If you are Mark Connelly living on the east coast and have a water path to
Brazil it is a breeze, No so much for the rest of us!

In the 70's (and living in Victoria B.C. on the West coast) I heard
Colombia on 810 one night when KGO was off for service.

The only other, I think, was Caracas - cannot remember the frequency.

Nick Hall-Patch has heard Ecuador on 760 Khz (which may be a good bet
still...) and he will jump in if I flubbed the frequency.

It is 25kw during the night and 100kw during the day - so it offers one of
the best bets.

Heck, if I can hear a 5 KW New Zealand station (I know, across water and
all...) then something from S.A. must be possible.

Jump in anyone!

--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -

--- End Message ---