Re: [IRCA] IRCA Loop update

--- Craig Healy <bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Priced some Amidon cores.  The FT-240-77 core is $9 each and the
> larger
> FT-290-77 is $18.  I will buy some of each for comparison.  Once I
> get the
> larger core I will make a loop out of 1 1/2" tube to see if that
> makes any
> difference.  There is probably a point of diminishing returns.

*** It would seem to me that there's a way to do this without the
toroid. If you make the copper pipe loop same as before, >except< that
you cut about a 3-4" slice out of the dead center of the bottom piece
of pipe, and then cap the ends you've created. Now connect a wire to
each capped end and run thru the coax.

Or, take two: and craig can test this since he has them built already -
disconnect the feed wires from the toroid, and run a hunk of wire -
maybe #10-16 in a continuing series of loops around the pipe all the
way around to actr as a link coil and then connect the ends of that to
the coax.

Either of these might work better, worse or no difference, but if
neither is worse, you've eliminated needing a toroid.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID