Re: [IRCA] SE FL IBOC Status

Title: Re: [IRCA] SE FL IBOC Status
How did we survive without HD?

I don’t know if HD is good or not. There are no radios that are being sold other than a few terribly overpriced car units.

That said, questions like this one, are just downright silly.

We just find them better than what came before. HD offers very improved audio on AM, and better audio as well as a second channel of additional programming on FM, opening the free radio programming choices by double!

I have never heard HD. I know you are an corporate person who toes the line as a VP of a radio conglomerate.  I have to take your comments with a grain of salt, nonetheless, I do believe that IBOC has the potential to be better for a local listener than analog. The problem that I see is that in the beginning, David is that you said that the difference would be improved by the additional bandwidth used for the signal.

Now you have changed your tune to say that the difference is that there can be more signals per channel. This is a question out of ignorance but a little knowledge. If you split the bandwidth, won’t that take the audio quality to FM quality, negating any perceived improvement in sound?

What will this do about the programming?

HD simply sounds a lot better, and is competitive with other digital audio distribution systems.

If there are any radios sold within my lifetime, and I am 50 and I might have 30 years to go, my life could actually end before any radios, other than the incredibly expensive ones used for cars might ever be released, I plan to buy one to find out if they ever decide to sell them.

However, while waiting for a decade of being told that IBOC radios were coming out, I bought an XM receiver that I am intensely pleased with. I am making the assumption that I am not the only one who has done this. It leads me to believe that IBOC / HD has missed the train leaving the station. All of this should have been done a long time ago and on a different band.

Whether HD / IBOC is great or not, HD appears to be a day late and a dollar short.

Kevin