Re: [IRCA] Antenna Connection Sealants

--- Tim Kridel <tkridel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Speaking of antennas, I'm about to gut a bedroom to turn it into my
> shack/office, and I'm interested in options for getting the antenna
> leads
> through the wall. I'm thinking about putting a twin female connector
> coax
> plate on the wall, with a pair of short (~4") jumpers in the wall and
> out to
> a weatherproof two-connector box on the outside of the house. From
> there I
> would attach the coax leads to the antennas and seal the connections
> using
> the black electrical tape that Thomas mentioned.
> Any thoughts on that design? What do you use? And how much loss would
> the
> connectors introduce?

*** Here's another thought entirely. If you have standard double-hung
windows, you could run cables through holes drilled in a strip made of
either hard rubber, styrofoam or plastic, cut to fit exactly across the
bottom of the window. The lower sash holds the strip in place. If water
infiltration is a problem, simply caulk around where the wires come
thru the strip. If you have copmbination storms, you can duplicate the
same method.

You didn't mention first or second floor, but there may be other
options, depending on what kind of temperature control system you have.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID