Re: [IRCA] Alaska from the midwest?

Greetings,

I live on the Northern Oregon coast, 750 air miles South of Ketchikan AK
and 1400 miles SE of Anchorage. Even as close as I am, with a AU
situation of Alaska being so far to the North, it is not heard all of
the time. In the Winter there are times I can hear KTKN Ketchikan during
the day, but not at night because of AU CX. Hawaii is much more solid at
2500 miles than Alaska is generally. With the A & K low this past week,
a lot of Alaskans were heard, but now with the A at 9 or 10, there is
not one peep tonight from the 49th state. Not even KTKN-930-Ketchikan.
Even CFPR 860 Prince Rupert BC is poor tonight and they can be S9+10-20
DB. I would guess when the A & K are low, Alaska might be possible from
the Midwest or East. But for KFQD & KENI running 50 KW ND, they sure
don't sound like a 50 KWer 1400 miles away. They sound more like 5 KW.
There just seems to be an issue with the stations from the 49th state
even at this distance.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin